50 Things That Do Not Make You Less of a Feminist

It's about equality... It's not a competition.

102
Bella

It seems that some people still aren’t sure exactly what it means to be a feminist. For some reason, some people have decided that certain actions warrant a down-grade in a woman’s feminist title. Reporters seem to especially enjoy looking for reasons to de-bunk certain celebrities’ claims of being a feminist. They do this for many reasons, including but not limited to the fact that they a) want to make their fans question their own feminist values and beliefs, b) want to make these women look like liars, giving all proclaimed feminists a bad reputation, or c) want to further set in the strange idea that feminism isn’t a real thing, and it’s only a name that man-hating women use to shout and get attention while not actually upholding real values.

And it isn’t just the media that is doing this. Some people, even those that claim they are feminists, like tell all sorts of female-identifying people that they somehow just aren’t doing it correctly.

Let’s make some things clear. Feminism can be expressed and fought for in many different ways. Now, while there are many things one can do that go against feminism and what it means, women get called out so much more frequently for soooo many things that are completely irrelevant to the concept of feminism.

Here are 50 things that DO NOT make you less of a feminist.

1. Growing your hair long

2. Cutting your hair short

3. Wearing makeup

4. Not wearing makeup

5. Caring about your appearance

6. Not caring about your appearance

7. Being high-maintenance

8. Being low-maintenance

9. Going to the gym regularly

10. Wanting to change the size/shape of your body

11. Disliking parts of your physical appearance

12. Feeling insecure sometimes

13. Shaving

14. Letting your body hair do what it wants

15. Liking facemasks, peels, or other beauty treatments

16. Being in love with a male identifying person

15. Being friends with and enjoying the company of straight, cisgender men

16. Enjoying having a man flirt with you

17. Flirting with men

18. Having one-night stands

19. Having consensual sex with multiple partners

20. Enjoying being submissive

21. Enjoying BDSM stuff

22. Letting a man pay for your dinner/drink/date activity

23. Showing off your body

24. Hiding your body

25. Being especially “masculine”

26. Being especially “girly”

27. Being shy

28. Being jealous of other women sometimes

29. Being proud of a male friend/coworker/acquaintance's accomplishments

30. Disliking another woman

31. Enjoying television shows/movies/video games that don’t have great female representation

32. Enjoying porn

33. Enjoying stuff that displays heteronormative romantic cliches (e.g. rom-coms)

34. Liking weddings

35. Wanting to be a stay-at-home mom

36. Being in a sorority

37. Enjoying domestic chores

38. Enjoying cooking for other people

39. Wanting to do things for a man that you love to make him happy

40. Wanting a job that is typically pursued by more women than men

41. Liking being pampered

42. Decidedly following certain “ladylike” etiquette guidelines

43. Wanting a man to make the first move

44. Making the first move yourself

45. Enjoying it when a man holds a door open for you, pulls out your chair for you, etc.

46. Liking Disney princesses

47. Wanting a man to stand up for you in certain situations

48. Being in a committed relationship

49. Disagreeing with other feminists about certain matters

50. Choosing not to attend protests or rallies all the time.

And finally, one thing that makes you less of a feminist:

1. Shaming women for doing any of these things

Feminism isn’t a competition. It’s about believing in, and being an advocate for equality among all gender identities. It isn’t about hating straight, cisgender men. It definitely isn’t about hating each other. We can’t shame each other, or try to exhibit that we are more feminist than our friends. We all need to encourage each other to be the most kind, caring, and educated people that we can be. Be a feminist by being yourself, doing what makes you happy, being good to others, and respecting the rights of others to do the same.