50 Essentials For Camping At A Music Festival This Summer

Whether it's your first or your 40th, there's always something that gets left behind.

167
Charles&Grace Blog

Camping is a big part of the “festival experience” nowadays and it’s important to be prepared for all the things life may throw at you. From personal experience I’ve created this list of 50 things you’ll want and need to have the best possible time while camping out for a few days. Of course, your friends and the music bring the whole experience together, but it will definitely be helpful to have these other things handy.

1. Water (drinking water and tap water for make-shift showers at your campsite): Seriously, fill the back of your car with as much water as you can. You don’t want to be stuck without it and you definitely don’t want to have to pay $5 for it inside the festival.

2. Tent, poles, and stakes: Practice setting up your tent beforehand if you’ve never done it before, it’ll make the process quicker and less stressful giving you more time to relax at your site.

3. Mallet: You may not need it if the ground is soft but make sure you have a ballot handy so you can really get your tent into the ground.

4. Pop-up canopy: Your tent is going to get hot with the sun beating down on it so save room for a pop-up canopy where you and your crew can hang out during the day. You’ll be dancing under the sun the entire time you’re at the festival so you’ll be happy you have a shady spot to sit under whenever you’re at your campsite.

5. Camelback/Reusable water bottle: Inside the festival you will be able to get free water refills, but only if you have something to put it in!

6. Flashlight/Lantern: Definitely bring a couple of these for inside and outside of your tent. When you get back from the festival every night it’s going to be pretty dark and you’re going to need to change, shower, and brush your teeth which is nearly impossible when you can’t see anything. Just make sure that you turn everything off when it’s time for bed so you don’t attract any bugs.

7. Bug spray/OFF candle: Speaking of bugs, definitely bring some bug spray or candles to keep them away from your campsite and away from your skin. There’s nothing worse than coming home from an incredible weekend only to be itching and scratching for the next four days.

8. Propane Grill: Certain festivals have restrictions on what kind of grill you’re allowed to bring, so definitely grab yourself a propane grill to avoid the hassle. You can pick one up at Walmart for just over $20.

9. Site-Flag/Tapestry/Mascot: Definitely bring something to decorate your campsite with that will make it stand out. A Flag is great so that you can easily locate your site from far away, but anything else that can spruce it up is a plus. You’ll definitely make more friends if your campsite looks inviting.

10. Plastic Table: Another way to make friends while camping is to have a table set up to hang out around, eat together at, and maybe play a couple of games on. Cards against Humanity and Pong Tournaments are big hits.

11. Plates and Utensils: Don’t get stuck without plates and forks. You’re not going to want to spend all your money on the expensive food inside the festival so make sure you have everything you need to chow down at your campsite.

12. Toilet Paper: Yes, there are bathrooms but no, they don’t always have toilet paper. Don’t get stuck without it. You may even need it at your campsite in the middle of the night when the bathrooms are just too far away. Have some with you inside the festival if possible because like I said, they like to run out of toilet paper in the bathrooms quite often.

13. Trash Bags: It’s highly likely that you’ll have a trash can right by your campsite, but definitely bring your own trash bags for when that one fills up. Don’t be that guy who leaves cans and dishes lying around for everyone else to pick up.

14. Tarps: Have at least one tarp laying around in case the ground is too soft or it decides to rain. You’ll want to put it under your tent or over all your belongings if necessary. I suggest putting one under your tent before you even set it up as a “just-in-case” kind of thing.

15. Second set of car keys: If possible have a second set of car keys stashed away somewhere in case you lose them. You don’t want to be stuck on the last day and have to call AAA.

16. Locks: Although you probably won’t need them it’s a nice safety precaution to lock up your tent every time you leave your campsite. Put your more valuable items in your car but also put a lock around the zipper of your tent just in case.

17. Radio/Speakers: You’re definitely going to want to listen to some music to hype yourself up before going into the festival grounds. Don’t drain your car battery by playing it through there, make sure you bring some speakers and an aux cord to keep under your pop-up during the day. You’ll make a lot of friends this way too so make sure your playlist is on point.

18. Baby Wipes: Go and buy out the whole store. These things will save your life.

19. Deodorant: Do I even need to explain?

20. Dry Shampoo: You’re not going to want to keep paying for a shower every day so bring some dry shampoo to keep your hair looking as if you did.

21. Hand Sanitizer: You’re going to get dirty and it’s going to be great, but you’re not going to want to have muddy hands when it’s time to pick up that burger you want to eat for lunch.

22. Bandana: This may seem like just a little thing but it could be a life saver. If it’s dry and dusty a bandana is the perfect mask, and it can be a cute accessory too.

23. Extra Socks: Make sure you have socks handy, especially if you’re only bringing one pair of shoes. You could get blisters or your shoes could get wet and you’re going to want to protect your feet as much as possible.

24. Pillow: DON’T FORGET YOUR PILLOW. Your neck will be sore from all the dancing and head banging going on inside the festival, you don’t want to be uncomfortable while you’re sleeping too.

25. Sneakers: I know we all want to look cute and wear gladiator sandals but definitely have a pair of sneakers handy for when your feet can’t handle any more.

26. Fan: You’ll probably be woken up before 8am every morning because your tent will become an oven. Have a battery operated fan (or five) inside your tent so you can get all the sleep you need, comfortably.

27. Batteries: As I said, you’ll need batteries for your fan and probably your lights too. Have extras in case anything happens, and always be ready to help out a fellow camper too.

28. Air Mattress: Sleeping on the ground for days on end can get very uncomfortable. Save yourself the pain by bringing an air mattress or even just a cot and a mattress pad. Your body will be going through enough pain through the crowds, jumping, and just walking around for 12 hours straight every day.

29. Sunscreen: For people of the more pasty variety, sunscreen will be your best friend.

30. Aloe: For when that sunscreen just didn’t cut it.

31. Portable Phone Chargers: Don’t get lost without a charger. If your phone dies in the festival it may be hard to meet up with your friends or get in touch with them in the case of an emergency. There are charging stations where you can use your regular wall charger at, but it’s easier for you to just carry one of these around.

32. Fanny pack: A small backpack is nice but a fanny pack is much more practical. You can keep track of your things easier with a bag that sits right on your waist, and you don’t have to keep taking it off to get things out.

33. Disposable Cameras: Since you can’t bring DSLR cameras into the festival and not everyone has a standard point-and-shoot camera, it’s fun to get a couple disposable cameras and bring them in with you. You won’t be worried about them getting wet, lost or broken, and getting the prints back later without being able to see the photos beforehand will be hysterical. You never know what you’re gonna get.

34. Phone: I don’t think this really needs to be on the list, it should be a given, but just in case.

35. Extra Blankets/Comforter: Although your tent may get hot when the sun is beating down on it, it may be chilly at night. Have some extra blankets handy for sleepy or for when you’re just hanging out outside and don’t have a campfire to keep you warm.

36. Sunglasses: Not only do they protect your eyes from the sun but also from all the dust being kicked up inside the festival.

37. Dry Ice: You need to be extremely careful with this, but it could be a lifesaver. Save yourself from buying ice every day and stock your coolers with dry ice. Be sure to cover it with styrofoam, newspaper, or spare rags to avoid touching it, but if you play your cards right this will help your ice last the entire festival and then some. Read up on dry ice before you go out and buy some because it can be very dangerous.

38. Soap: Have some soap or body wash in your car for those make-shift showers at your campsite.

39. Bathing Suit: It’s going to be hot if your festivals in the middle of the summer and you can’t really walk around your campsite in just your underwear like you can at home, so bring a bathing suit for when you need to cool off while you’re chilling out. These will also come in handy during your campsite showers.

40. Towel: for obvious reasons.

41. Yoga mat: If you’re not a yogi then you could just use this to lay out on during the day. If you are a yogi use it to show off your skills and meet other likeminded festival goers.

42. Spare cash: Hide some cash in your car in case you need it. You may lose money in the festival or just need it for an emergency so it’s always good to have something extra stashed away somewhere. Just don’t forget where you hide it…

43. Photo ID: You HAVE to have a government issued photo ID to get into the festival. Even though you’ve paid for a ticket you will not be allowed in without it. If you’re coming from oversees make sure you research what exactly you need because each festival may have different requirements.

44. Zip Ties: You never know when you might need one.

45. Duct Tape: Duct tape can solve all problems. Well, almost all.

46. Juice/Gatorade/Tea: Yes you’ll have water to drink, but that definitely gets boring. Be sure to have something else that’s hydrating and preferably something with some vitamins or electrolytes to keep you going.

47. Fruit: Granola and PB&J are going to get boring after a while. Even if you’re cooking up some gourmet meals have some fruit handy for snacking. It’s hydrating and helps boost your energy.

48. Rain coat/Poncho: It’s definitely possible that it could rain at your festival as the weather always seems to be unpredictable. Have a rain coat or poncho handy just in case, because you don’t want to be soggy and sad at the end of the day.

49. Extra Hair Ties: With the heat and humidity your hair will probably be going up at one point or another and you don’t want to get stuck without a hair tie. These will also come in handy for your friends, or strangers who will turn into friends.

50. Last but certainly not least, bring your energy and spirit: This is going to be one of the best experiences of your life, don’t let yourself be too drained and grumpy to enjoy it. Embrace every second of this adventure and push your body to keep up with your mind.