50 Electronic-Free Things To Do On A Road Trip

Because mom is sick of hearing "I'm borrreedd."

3262
Google Images

For a lot of people, when summertime comes along, it means it's time to hit the road and travel to new places! Finding fun ways to stay occupied can seem easy at first but eventually, watching movies and playing games on your electronics can become extremely mind-numbing- am I right? And we all know that mom does not want to hear the phrase "I'm borrreedd."

I sat in the car this past week staring at a blank word document and attempting to find a topic for my article (as well as avoid boredom). After throwing out idea after idea, I decided to spend my car ride polling friends and family and writing an article all about how to stay entertained electronics-free!

So, here are 50 fun things to do on a road trip without electronics!

1. Search for all 50 license plates

2. Eat a ton of junk food

3. Sleep

4. Play the alphabet game

5. Play the alphabet game backwards

6. Count the white lines on the road

7. Sing 99 bottles of beer on the wall

8. Sing 99 bottles of milk on the wall (for those under 21)

9. Play Star

10. Complain that you’re bored

11. Sing at the top of your lungs to the bad music on the radio

12. Swear when the cars slow down and the traffic starts

13. Listen to your parents swear when the cars slow down and the traffic starts

14. Read a book

15. Read a magazine

16. Paint your toes

17. Read and make fun of all the stupid billboards

18. Stare blankly ahead

19. Make fun of the city names that you are passing by

20. Complain that you’re hungry

21. Count how many people around you are texting and driving (and stay far away)

22. Play road trip bingo

23. Look at scenery and take pictures

24. Do your summer reading

25. Talk about how you could be doing your summer reading, but don’t actually do it

26. Stop at Cracker Barrel because it’s the only place with clean bathrooms

27. Buy Hubba Bubba and see who can blow the biggest bubbles

28. Find objects on the road for every letter of the alphabet

29. Complain that you’re tired but can’t fall asleep

30. Count how many times you see a billboard for fireworks

31. Ask if you’re there yet

32. Channel surf on the radio until you end up right back where you started

33. Annoy your siblings

34. Fight with your siblings

35. Do word searches

36. Count how many cars you pass on the road

37. Count how many boats are on the sides of the bridges

38. Continue to complain to the point where your parents threaten to duct tape your mouth shut

39. Plan your next trip

40. Create song parodies based on a weird topic (for example: write a song to the tune of“Shut Up and Dance” about donuts)

41. Create a story by having each person in the car contribute one word

42. Pick an unusual color car and count how many cars you pass until you find it

43. Wish for rain so you can see a rainbow

44. Regret wishing for rain when it starts pouring so hard that you have to stop because of the near impossible visibility

45. Day dream

46. Talk your mom’s and dad’s ear off about where you want to go to college

47. Listen to lectures on student debt as a factor for choosing a college

48. Listen to your dad talk your ear off about sports

49. Tell lots of stupid jokes

50. Write an article for The Odyssey about 50 things to do on a road trip

If you are still bored after trying all of these ideas, then maybe you should try booking a flight next time.