5 Worries Every Transfer Student Has

5 Worries Every Transfer Student Has

Forever being intimidated by a new beginning.

44
5 Worries Every Transfer Student Has

This fall, I will be a transfer student, not by choice, but by chance. I am transferring from one of the largest public universities in the city of Chicago to one of the largest schools in the nation. It may be easier for me to understand the rigor and hard work to be successful, but being on a completely new campus and having to become accustomed to the style of living in a foreign area is very intimidating.

Just as any transfer student, I’m worrying about what will become of my education. What will become of me and my social life? My nerves are becoming uncontainable because in just a week, I’ll look like a freshman on campus all over again.

1. How will I get around?

Cue “A Whole New World...” I visited a couple handful of times and I’m still lost. Again, I’ll look like a freshman on campus and all I want to do is blend in. It’ll take me a couple of weeks before I’ll get used to things. Not knowing the area and having to be familiar to a whole new system will be just as stressful as all the other things that are going through my mind.

2. Will I make new friends?

My friends were established my first two years of college. Now, I’m on a brand new campus. As if it was easy to make friends the first time around, I have to make an effort to do it all over again. This time, it’ll be harder because I’m not a freshman looking to get involved in everything I can. I’m a junior looking for people who will support me on my journey of success.

3. How hard will it be compared to my old school/university?

In my case, my classes and course load at my previous university were recognizable for their difficulty. Some of you are transferring from a two year school to a four year school. By all means, I’m not saying that two year schools aren’t difficult, but they are different. The differences vary from school to school. Therefore, I’m just as scared as you about my grades. I want to be successful just as you do and the unknowing of how it will be, if I will survive longs in my head.

4. Am I going to fit in?

I’m sure the first couple of weeks I’ll be like a fish out of water, but I’m wondering if that will ever go away. I'm terrified. Being the new girl is not so glorious as it seems. There's so much to learn especially when it's everything is so new and foreign. It will definitely be a hard task to tackle.

5. Am I going to like it?

I loved my previous university. Again, for me, it was by chance not really by choice to transfer. For some of you, it was by choice. As excited as I am, I hope that I will love my new school as much as I loved the old. I had to sacrifice a lot to get where I am today and it would be horrible for me to finish with an ill last two years college.

Well, I'm embarking on my new journey in a few days and my adrenaline levels are higher than ever. I'm about to begin a new chapter in my life and it'll test how strong, independent I can truly be. No matter what happens, I have to focus on my goals at hand. I want to be successful and sometimes, we have to risk it all to get it all. Here's to new adventures!