5 Ways Some Girls Accidentally Allow Their 20s To Waste Away

In retrospect, nothing will ever be worth as much as these years.

126
Flickr

It may sound like a cliche at this point in our lives, with the vast amounts of articles already targeting the large audience of twenty-something millennials in society today but here's another one.

You guessed it, yet another article explaining to you why some of us twenty-year-olds are letting "the best years of our life" slip right through our fingers, whether or not on accident or consciously allowing this to happen.

1. Please, for the love of God, stop giving him a "second" chance.

And a third, a fourth and what now feels like an infinite amount of chances. The sole purpose of giving ones significant other a "second chance" is to allow said person to redeem his or herself in light of a circumstance that has made you upset. I'll be the first one to say that my relationship isn't a perfect one but what I can say with complete confidence is this: the person I'm with has never made me feel any less than I am, out of spite or not and honestly, if things were said or done out of spite in the first place, what are you literally doing with your 20s?

2. None of this is a cliche.

"Cherish these moments of your life- you'll want them back as quickly as you let them slip by."

"Don't rush love."

"Never prioritize a bad guy in front of your forever friends."

While yes, these are all my own person cliches, they're all mantras I feel us millennial's should swear by and here's why. In what other time period during our lives will we be able to simultaneously transition into the people our younger selves would be proud of and grow from the person we used to be? The answer is there's no other time because once our twenties are gone, we, hopefully, have already become that person.

3. If you trust yourself enough, everything will work out.

This goes for one's career, love life, relationships and anything else we hold near and dear to our hearts. If you trust the belief that you're meant to help the world and its people and that nothing can get in the way of that, trust that one belief. If you believe in your heart of hearts that you belong with the love of your life, trust that because in all honesty (and in the words of a huge cliche), love makes this world go around and if you have pure, genuine and beautiful love with someone else, you can't let it go.

4. If someone from the outside sees something wrong, it's probably wrong.

I honestly don't know what this specifically pertains to so I'll just say this: if your family, friends and even that random kid you started following on Instagram a few years ago senses something off in your relationship with your current guy, there is a 99.999999999% chance there's something not right. It's very hard to look inwards when one's mindset is so clearly jaded so when the people in your life who love you say something more than once, trust that. For God's sake, trust that.

5. HAPPINESS. STARTS. FROM. YOURSELF.

I honestly don't know how I can convey the importance of this more so than I already try with myself but here goes nothing. If you honestly believe you can go through the next 80 or so years of your life physically, mentally and emotionally leaning on another person, there's nothing else anybody can say to you other than a very genuine "good luck". At the end of the day, you aren't closing your eyes and entering your own mind with anybody else but yourself and that includes a boyfriend. It's indeed one of the more cryptic realities of life but it's one of the most honest ones.

There are most definitely thousands of other harsh truths that I think about on the daily but the five above are ones that seriously make me wonder whether or not I'm one of the luckier ones to have come to these conclusions after so many years of deliberation or if I'm still going through the notions of some of them even today.