5 Ways To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint

5 Ways To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint

Happy Earth Day! A nature walk might not be in the cards this year, but there's no better way to celebrate than by reducing your carbon footprint!

37
5 Ways To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
Unsplash

The concept of reducing your carbon footprint is gaining popularity as awareness of global warming and pollution spreads. It may not seem like it at first, but a little bit goes a long way. Reducing carbon emissions is crucial in the fight to save the planet, and here are five easy ways you can get started!

1. Eat More Plants

Unsplash

This doesn't mean you have to go vegetarian (unless you are willing and able)! Incorporating more plants into your diet helps reduce carbon output because plants don't produce as much carbon as meat products! Unfortunately, the meat industry produces a large chunk of carbon emission sin the world today, but you can do your part to reduce it just by eating more plants! Add a side salad to your steak next time.

2. Don't Waste Water

Unsplash

Saving water is easier than you think. Remember those old tips about turning off the water while brushing your teeth and between washing dishes? They work! By saving water, you reduce the amount of water being taken from natural sources and, in turn, prevent environmental damage. A little bit goes a long way, so don't get discouraged! You'll help save the environment while also saving money on your water bill!

3. Stop Buying 'Fast Fashion'

Unsplash

That $5 tank top is cute, but is it really worth it? Fast fashion is cheaply made and produced clothing often sold online or in "cheap" stores, such as Forever 21 and Romwe. While the clothes are cheap and cute, they usually only last a few wears before being ruined. These clothes often end up in landfills. Save yourself some money in the long run by investing in sturdy, versatile clothing. Get those $50 Express pants instead of the $20 FashionNova ones. It may be a bit expensive, but it will last you a lot longer and reduce waste!

4. Drive Carefully

Unsplash

By driving carefully, you reduce fuel consumption, saving yourself money in the long run. You burn more fuel with rapid accelerations than you do while driving steadily. Oil is a non-renewable resource and also a very prevalent pollutant, so saving your gas is one of the most important things you can do to reduce your carbon emissions. You don't need to buy yourself a Prius to help the environment-- just drive safely!

5. Recycle

Unsplash

Last but not least, the oldest method. Recycling is one of the easiest methods of carbon reduction. Simply utilize your recycling bin! Plenty of useful things are made from recycled materials, such as paper, clothing, bags, shoes... the list goes on and on! By recycling, you know that you did your part to reduce waste in the landfills, especially because of the danger of plastic. Pro tip: recycle your grocery bags at your local grocery store! This way they won't end up in the ocean or in the ground, and can be repurposed.