5 Ways To Mentally Survive Online Classes ​

5 Ways To Mentally Survive Online Classes ​

Many people are now living at school but attending classes all online.

17
Unsplash

It was a transition for everyone to get sent home early last semester and have to finish school online . That being said, the situation felt so novel and seemed like it would be so temporary, that we almost had a different energy around it. It is a much different situation to start online classes, knowing they will last the whole semester. I know I am so happy that while most of my classes are online, I do have in person clinicals and one hybrid class in addition to my online courses. That being said, I do know people that have all online classes. Whatever situation your own, I would bet that most of us are going to be in significantly less in person classes. I've been thinking of ways to protect my mindset- and I want to share them with you.

1. Get out of your dorm or apartment at least once a day. 

Student centers may be closed or at limited but even something as simple as taking a 10 minute walk to get a to-go coffee can help prevent the feeling of "I haven't seen anything but these for walls for days." Wear a mask- get out, and get yourself some coffee.

2. See your friends (socially distanced)

I'm talking all the precautions- outside if you can, 6ft apart, masks, handwashing - the whole bit. If you feel comfortable, even though you may not be able to hang out in convential ways- being in the presence of your friends (safetly) can help ward off feelings of isolation.

3. Go to class with someone

As preciously stated, I am talking about doing this with every precaution. But if you have a couple friends in your class, get outside, sit 6 ft apart, wear some cute masks, and then you can have friends in real time in class with you to joke around, asks questions, or even just provide solidarity.

4. Switch positions between each class. 

This tip is for those that maybe can't go outside due to weather or policy restriction- whatever the reason may be. I know if I sat in the same spot in my bed for an entire day of classes I would probably be asleep by the end of it. If you're in an apartment- maybe you can switch from your room to the living room between classes. Even if your in a dorm, just switching from your bed to a desk may provide you a reset to better focus on the next class. In addition, this gives you a minute to stretch and move your body so you don't feel like you haven't moved all day.

5. Make your bed. 

Let's be real. I'm not saying clean your room or deep clean your apartment everyday- I mean seriously some days there's just no time. While you may save your cleaning for lighter class days or days off, making your bed everyday can do wonders for your mindset. For one, it makes your room feel a bit more airy and open which is nice especially if you'll be sitting in bed for your class. If you're siting in an unmade bed for a boring class, goodnight! You'll be asleep in 5 minutes. If your bed is made it's way less tempting just turn off your camera and fall asleep. The second thing is- you've accomplished something- that may make you feel good and productive and just set up your energy for the rest of the morning!