5 Easy Ways To Excel And Succeed In Your Internship That Your Boss Will Notice

Your internship is what you make it!

8

In order to be successful in your internship, you have to do more than just get the internship and show up. In order to get the most out of your internship you have to be willing to work hard. The harder you work, and the more work you do, the more you will learn. Follow these five tips to make sure that you do the best you possibly can in your internship!

1. Be there.

When you're scheduled to go to work, go. Try and save your days off or times calling in for days that you're actually sick or have a school-related event. It does not look good to be constantly missing your internship. Just because your internship is unpaid, or only for a semester, or doesn't pay well doesn't mean you shouldn't show up.

2. Be present.

Don't just show up to work and sit there. Be engaged, ask questions, do everything you can do to be involved! If you are present at your internship, staff will notice and that is how you get your letter of recommendation or job offers.

3. Always, always, always ask if there's anything for you to do.

Don't ever just be sitting at your desk on your phone all day. I can almost guarantee that someone in the office will have something for you do. You're showing up to work and contribute to the team! Taking that initiative and asking if there is anything for you to do will impress your employer. Additionally, you will be able to gain more experience.

4. Leave the phone in your bag.

There is never a time where it is acceptable to be sitting on your phone at your internship. Even if you don't have many tasks for the day, or don't have any tasks for the day, don't be on your phone. Look up important and recent news happening in your field, clean out the intern e-mail folder, straighten up your desk area- literally anything besides being on your phone.

5. Be professional.

Dress professionally and act professionally. If the attire in your office is business-professional and you don't know what that is, Google it! If you don't have the money to pay for those clothes then there are multiple resources available to you. Dress the part and act the part. Make sure that you're also acting professionally. Greet new people with a handshake, don't be talking about inappropriate things, etc.