5 Ways to Enjoy Summer in Quarantine

5 Ways to Enjoy Summer in Quarantine

Did your spring semester of college just end? Here are five ways to enjoy your summer in quarantine.

7
pexels.com
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-in-a-blue-dress-4208120/

At this point of the COVID-19 quarantine, college student's only source of motivation each day is their remaining coursework. However, as the semester comes to a close, all of the coursework students have been working on has ended. While still in quarantine, here are five ideas to enjoy your summer vacation, quarantine style.

1. Tan in your backyard.

Where most of the beaches are closed, this does not mean that you cannot get a summer tan. Start your summer tan through tanning in the backyard. If you live in an apartment building, a balcony can do! Where it is not an ideal location to tan, sitting in the sun when protecting your skin with sunscreen can have added benefits for your health. The sun supplies Vitamin D, a necessary Vitamin needed in the body, and increases serotonin levels, which helps your mental health.

2. Binge watch your favorite TV shows. 

Because everyday is not going to be sunny outside, on the days where it is raining use this time to watch your favorites. During finals, it can be hard to find time to finish tv shows that you enjoy. Use this spare time to finish the tv shows you have always been meaning to finish, and start new shows. Some of the TV shows I have been watching is "Outer Banks", "All American", and "Vampire Diaries". You can also watch TV shows with your friends by using the "Netflix Watch Party" feature so you and your friends can continue to watch a show together.

3. Pick up a new hobby.

To keep our mental health in check while quarantined, it is important to stay motivated on tasks. Where during the semester, we were motivated on our coursework, now that the semester is over it is important to find other tasks to stay motivated on. You can pick up a new hobby, such as painting, or playing an instrument during this time. This way, you can work on this hobby each day when you cannot leave the house, and gain a skill out of it. Who knows, you might be the next Picasso! Even if the new hobby doesn't stick, learning new tasks never hurts, and you will keep your mental health in check.

4. Go on long drives.

One way to clear my mind and escape my family is the ability to drive. Where most nonessential businesses are still closed, this does not mean that you cannot leave the house and go on a drive. Drive along local roads with your favorite music blasting. It is a great way to have some much needed time away from family and the house without exposing yourself to the virus. Personally, I find that I think the clearest when I am driving on windy roads by myself.

5. Safely see friends. 

Since most college students are finishing up their semesters, they are all probably feeling the same emotions you are. It is important to be able to talk to your friends so you can express how you are feeling in quarantine. Although you cannot touch your friends, you can still see your friends as long as you stay six feet apart and wear the proper masks. Going on bike rides or walks where you stay on opposite sides of the street allows you to catch up while staying six feet away from each other. Additionally, you could even drive in separate cars to a park and sit onto of the cars and catch up wile being the appropriate distance apart.