5 Ways to be Eco-Friendly at the Beach

5 Ways to be Eco-Friendly at the Beach

Tips for protecting your favorite summer destination

31
5 Ways to be Eco-Friendly at the Beach

The beach is one of the most common places associated with summer. It's a place to unwind, spend time with family and friends, play sports, etc. While many beaches (especially public popular ones) don't seem much more than endless sand and crashing waves, in reality, any beach is just the edge of one of the most biodiverse places on the planet - the ocean. Sadly, the ocean continuously receives constant pollution of harmful chemicals and waste that destroy the health and habitats of its diverse populations. If it's safe to spend time at your local beach this summer, here are 5 ways to be eco-friendly at the beach.

1. Choose a Sunscreen Without Harmful Ingredients

It's both surprising and scary to learn that most common (and FDA approved) sunscreen manufacturers use ingredients that are harmful to both human and sea creature's health. Damaging ingredients include Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, Avobenzone, and Octocrylene among others. Researchers have said that mineral-based sunscreens are better than chemical-based sunscreens. Raw Elements Organic SPF 30 Zinc Sunscreen, Badger Broad Spectrum SPF 35 Sport, Stream2Sea Sport SPF 35, and ThinkSport SPF 50+ are great sunscreens to try out this summer, although staying shaded with umbrellas, hats, sunglasses or other protection from the sun without any sunscreens is always the best choice for marine life.

2. Pick Up Trash - Even if It's Not Yours!

There are millions of tons of plastic dumped into the ocean every year. So while it seems like a few pieces of trash on the beach is minuscule, they still matter! It takes very little effort to clean up after yourself at the beach, so don't be the one to leave trash. Even if you see pieces of trash lying around that aren't yours, be a good person and throw them away, you could be saving a sea animal's life. A great way to produce zero waste at the beach is to pack a lunch in reusable glass tupperware.

3. Walk or Bike to the Beach

If the beach is close enough, reduce your carbon footprint and get some exercise by walking or biking to the beach. Automobile emissions are a contributing factor to climate change and ocean acidification, so avoiding driving a car to the beach can save what your car would have emitted into the atmosphere. If the beach is too far to walk or bike to, you can also reduce your carbon footprint by taking public transportation.

4. Avoid Touching and Taking

Shells and rocks from the ocean can be beautiful and a fun souvenir, but taking them home harms the ocean's environment. Shells and rocks can prevent erosion of beaches and stabilize them, as well as anchor seagrass. Additionally, shells are important for many organisms in the ocean such as crabs and small fishes. They can use them for temporary or permanent shelter and for their broken down nutrients to build new shells. Furthermore, avoid touching and feeding organisms found on the beach or in the water. Wild sea creatures such as starfish and sea anemone are not meant to be touched by humans nor are seagulls meant to be fed human food. Both actions can cause survival issues for these common beach organisms.

5. Obey the Signs

Finally, if there are signs up at the beach telling you to stay off a certain area, stay away! Signs are put there to protect places that serve as crucial habitats for all types of organisms including plants and animals. Be sure to stay on common paths and areas to avoid damaging these habitats.