11 Ways To Be Chandler Bing In A World Of Ross Gellers

Be kind and supportive rather than obsessive and condescending.

816
Bustle

We have all encountered different types of people and have probably observed how they navigate through their many types of relationships. However, when it comes to romantic ones, there are some clear concepts that need to be considered by both parties involved.

Here are five easy ways to ensure that you are a Chandler Bing, kind and supportive, in a world of Ross Gellers, obsessive and condescending.

1. Know when you are wrong

vs.

Everyone makes mistakes — some worse than others — and it is important to acknowledge these mistakes rather than trying to convince the other person that they overreacted. When Chandler was reminded that he called Monica fat, he was emphatic in his apology, and reassured her that he knows that he should not have said that. Alternatively, Ross repeatedly insists that sleeping with a random girl less than 24 hours after he and Rachel “were on a break” is acceptable. Regardless of where you stand on the contested topic, we should all be in agreement that his timing was poor and his inability to realize that fact is worse.

2. Do not talk down to your partner

vs.

You and whomever you are with should view each other as equals. If you are going to be in a relationship, it is time to view yourselves as a team. No one person should hold more power.

3. Tell your partner when you are upset

vs.

Arguably, both Ross and Chandler had some work to do when it came to confronting issues head on with their respective girlfriends. The worst thing that you can do in any type of relationship is let the issue fester. Nothing will get resolved and it will only lead to an avoidable blowout.

4. Share the important details

vs.

Keeping secrets is just about the worst thing that you can do with anyone, especially when they affect both parties. Also, whatever you do, do not lie about getting an annulment.

5. Be supportive

vs.

Cheer each other on and reassure each other when needed that you will be there no matter what. Sometimes people have insecurities based on genuine past experiences that require some degree of reassurance, and that is OK. When Monica feared that Chandler would stop loving her if her body changed, he assured her that she could change in any number of ways and he would still love her. Alternatively, when Rachel, who was always insecure about her abilities, was offered a job, Ross told her it was only because her future co-worker Mark wanted to sleep with her. More so, if you truly love someone, supporting them will be the easiest decision that you will ever make.

6. Do something nice for your partner

vs.

When Chandler first moved in with Monica, he decided that he would clean her apartment while she was at work so that she could come home and it would be nice for her. What he did not take into account was how particular she is about where everything is placed. Nonetheless, when he explained to her why he moved things around, she was touched by his thoughtful gesture. Alternatively, Ross, even when they were not dating, had a habit of getting Rachel into stress-inducing and ridiculous situations, including carrying a sofa to his apartment from blocks away.

7. Don't be possessive

vs.

When Chandler wanted to make Rachel's vacated room into a game room and Monica wanted it to be "the beautiful guest room", they had a huge fight. Eventually, he returned and saying that he realized that he didn't need the game rooms because he played games when he couldn't get girls. He quickly revised the statement, though, because he wanted to assure her that he didn't think that he "had her." Unlike Chandler, while he and Rachel were dating, Ross kept count of how many times the two of them had sex. The realization was not only creepy, but also shows how little he valued their relationship beyond the physical aspects.

8. Make "taking the next step" meaningful

vs.

Chandler wanted to plan his proposal to Monica perfectly, which included enlisting the friends to make sure that the timing was just right and that he found the perfect engagement ring. When Ross proposed to Emily, although the spur-of-the-moment aspect could be considered romantic by some, it was ill-planned. They had only met a short time before and he was still in a lot of ways fresh out of his bitter break-up with Rachel. Therefore, his engagement to Emily was already off to a tumultuous and unpredictable start.

9. If you're hesitant about commitment, be clear about it

vs.

Chandler never pretended that commitment didn't scare him, so when he and Monica got together, they took it gradually until they were both comfortable taking the next step at each stage of their relationship. For that reason, they were successful because they respected where the other was at emotionally. On the other hand, when Ross dated Mona, he avoided having the "where are we going?" talk. Instead, he told her what he thought she wanted to hear — leading to a premature Christmas card of them and him giving her a key to his place, only to later change the lock in a panic — and it ultimately was a factor that led to the end of their relationship.

10. When you fight for your partner, don't pick a fight with THEM

vs.

Make sure that you are assigning your anger to the correct person when you are upset. When Chandler found out that Richard told Monica that he still loved her, he confronted Richard rather than blowing up at Monica. When Rachel didn't give Ross a formal goodbye before leaving for Paris like she did for everyone else, he handled his anger poorly by yelling at her that she didn't care about him or their relationship, which led to a large blowout that he regretted.

11. Don't expect your partner to hang around forever

vs.

Chandler realized that he would have to fight to ensure that Monica realized how much he truly loved her when she thought that he had no intention of ever marrying her. More so, when he realized that there was a misunderstanding, he immediately went to resolve it because he realized that she could leave whenever she wanted if she felt unloved and unappreciated. However, Ross simply expected that Rachel would always be there when he chose to confess his feelings. He ultimately took for granted that she has a life of her own that could bring her anywhere else and waited until she was about to board a plane to Paris to drop the bombshell that he was still in love with her.