5 Ways To Productively Procrastinate

5 Ways To Productively Procrastinate

Get stuff done before you get stuff done.

16
5 Ways To Productively Procrastinate
Hades2k on Flickr

We've all been there before -- you have a bunch of homework to do, but you just can't bring yourself to do any of it. You're trying, but you just can't focus. Sometimes, you just have to power through it. But sometimes, a little bit of "productive procrastination" can really help to clear your head and put you on the right track. Taking care of yourself and your surroundings can get you in the right mindset for taking care of your responsibilities. Of course, these methods aren't foolproof, but if you're at wit's end, they're definitely good to keep in mind.

1. Tidy up your room

Notice the choice of the word "tidy" as opposed to "deep clean." You shouldn't spend a great deal of time and energy cleaning -- exhausting yourself defeats the purpose of productive procrastination. But you should make your bed if it's unmade, throw out any trash that might be lying around, make sure your working space isn't cluttered, etc. Just making your surroundings a bit neater can get you geared towards productivity.

2. Take a short nap

This one has the potential to go wrong (three-hour-long-nap, waking-up-in-a-different-dimension levels of wrong,) so proceed with caution. But sometimes, you're just exhausted, and you need to take a little rest. Most experts say that the best nap length for recharging yourself is about 15-20 minutes, so set an alarm and get a little bit of shut-eye before you start working.

3. Take a shower

If you're feeling the need to freshen up at all, do it. Feeling gross doesn't help with sluggishness at all. A hot shower is a great way to clear your mind, which may be much-needed if you've got a lot of work to do. Put on some comfy clothes afterwards; it'll feel great.

4. Take a short walk

This is the one that no one wants to hear, but physical activity can really aid with focus. Weather permitting, taking a quick walk is a good way to boost your energy, and getting some air can refresh you.

5. Have a snack

Getting work done on an empty stomach is often fruitless. I know I can't focus when I'm hungry -- all I can think about is food. So take the time to nourish yourself before you continue with your work. Healthy snacks like fruits and nuts are best, of course, but if there isn't much available to you at the moment, take what you can get so your stomach isn't growling.

Remember, these are just little ways to help refresh you and keep you on the right track in times where you're finding it hard to be productive. Try not to get too engrossed in them and end up getting nothing done. That said, take care of yourself and know when getting work done has to take a backseat to maintaining your well-being! Good luck!