5 Ways To Improve Your Creativity Post-College

Don't let the post-college blues get you down!

10
www.michaeltischler.com

As a recent college graduate, I've found myself at a challenging standstill. In college, I always kept myself busy, whether that be through clubs, classes, and work. My transition into the "real world," hasn't been easy. I credit this to lacking a clear creative outlet to express myself. With all the freedom and the time that comes with graduation, it's hard to find the motivation to stay creative and positive. So without further ado, here are my five tips on how to live a more positive and creative life post-grad!

1. Take a free class! (You heard right...free!)

You are never too old to keep learning, and throughout college, you're options are restricted based off of your major and your credit requirements. So online continuing education classes are a great alternative! iTunes U is a great option for those that want a low commitment. Another option is Lynda.com, this is usually a paid service, but my library offers a free subscription with my library card. They have video-based lessons with a wide variety of options from Marketing to Adobe Premiere (I just finished a really cool lesson on Search Engine Optimization). Some local colleges, offer community classes at a discounted rate (time to take that belly dancing class you’ve always wanted to). These options are great for a recent grad looking to expand their horizons without the pressures of grading or the financial burden of a regular class.

2. Change your perspective.

Sometimes all it takes to increase your creativity is to change up your perspective. If you’re into writing or taking photographs, go somewhere you’ve never been before. 'Google' cute towns near me and see what comes up. Take a hike, see a band you've never heard of, try a new restaurant or coffee shop. You don't really get a choice in when inspiration hits, so always be prepared. I carry a small notebook with me wherever I go. I always get the best ideas when I’m away from my desk.

3. Read a book.

Throughout college, I was simply too busy with schoolwork to pick up a book and read for my own pleasure. Now that I have the time, it's greatly improved my creativity. Books have the ability to transport us to places beyond our current ability and means (I'm looking at you "GOT"). These fictional places can serve as inspiration for your own content. The idea for this article came from a book! Remember that inspiration is everywhere people!

4. Take some time.

A lot of us let our work (or job search in my case), consume our lives. So much so, that we forget to take care of ourselves. This greatly hinders our creativity. When you're stressed out, you may be too preoccupied about your stressor to notice that great idea flashing right in front of you! So, take a moment every day that's just yours to de-stress. Personally, I like to sit on my porch every morning before work and sip my coffee, even if it's only for a few moments, it helps me start my day in a more positive way.

5. Collaborate.

My favorite (and most productive) moments of school were when I was able to discuss topics with my classmates. Whenever I'm feeling particularly uninspired, I find it helpful to either collaborate with other content creators or send the work to my friends for opinions. Other people have different experiences than you, therefore have different ways to approach an idea. In my experience, a conversation with another person always leaves me with a post-it note full of ideas and suggestions.

So, now that you're armed with some tools to living more creatively, get your booties out there are start creating!