5 Ways Being Extremely Extroverted Affects You In College

I Am An Extrovert. I Am In College.

143
www.comedycentral.co.uk

1. You Spend A LOT of Time with People

This isn't a bad thing. People are good, and as an extrovert, it is normal to draw energy from being around groups, whether small or big. Going out with friends, staying in with friends, it seems like they're always around. You know a lot of people as well; so, whether you're at the coffee shop, the football game, or the park, you're bound to get stuck in a conversation with someone you know (or multiple people you know).

2. You Have Plenty of Commitments, to Plenty of Different Organizations and Groups

Sleep becomes either (1) extremely elusive and rare, or (2) a binge and purge relationship. As an extrovert you end up sacrificing your sleep, possibly unintentionally, to hang out with friends and also to be an intricate part of the communities that you're in. Everyone has heard of the "College Triangle of Success," or whatever it's called, where there are 3 options (Good Grades, Social Life, Sleep) and you can only choose 2, simply because their is not enough time. And for me, as someone who values my education as well as my social life, including commitments to organizations, I simply don't value sleep as much as I should. That's okay though, because my priorities are aligned how I want them to be, technically.

3.Solitude Evades You, Even When You Want It

Regardless of the hour, you always feel as if you're on-call. Any given moment, someone could text you wanting to hang out, and so you can become less productive if you don't keep an eye on this one. Even if you carve out time to be alone, to rest, to charge down, there is the incessant buzz of the extrovert's phone, desiring to take you away from you're alone time. As an extrovert I believe that being around people is an awesome experience; however, it can become a problem when you are unable to be alone when you want to. There must be boundaries eventually, whether it be deciding to turn off your phone after a certain hour, or be it having a date with yourself that is planned every other week. Sometimes your time needs to be protected, because if left unprotected, someone else will use it.

4. Work Doesn't Usually Take Precedence

.

As an outgoing, fun-loving extrovert, people matter to you, they're not just a means to an end. You genuinely enjoy getting to know people's stories, their inhibitions, and what makes them tick. With that, the extrovert subverts their workload to be around people. For instance, this could mean choosing to go to a social gathering over staying in when you need to write a paper, or procrastinating that paper until all your friends are asleep (3 am). So again, we come back to the devaluation of sleep. All this being said, being an extrovert is FUN. You have a ton of fun, a ton of connections, and always someone to call up when you need them. After all, there's the famous saying that goes something like: "No one says on their death bed, 'man I really wish I wrote that paper instead of hanging with my pals all night,' they say 'I wish I had more time to spend with my family and friends.'"

5. Sometimes, you don't always finish what you start, and that's okay.