5 Ways to Dress Up Your Dorm Room

5 Ways to Dress Up Your Dorm Room

Tips to make that white box look fun & fab

57
5 Ways to Dress Up Your Dorm Room

The beginning of the school year is always full of excitement, for many different reasons: you get to see your friends again, you have some new sweaters and boots to show off, and it’s time to decorate your new dorm room! But, half way into first semester, I always get a little itchy and feel the need to shake some things up. So, why not do a little re-decorating as you’re putting up those Thanksgiving/Christmas/Hanukkah decorations? Spring-cleaning doesn’t always need to happen in the spring. So, here are a few tips for how to make your room look a brand new fresh and fabulous once again.

Add a personal touch

At the beginning of the year, it is so easy to focus on those big things you need – fridge, futon, curtains – which are definitely important but definitely do not provide the best outlet for you to express your unique personality! Ok, yes, you an get different patterns and colors, but let’s be real, everyone usually ends up with variations of the same thing. So, now that you’ve been living in this space for a while, think of something you can do to make it a little more reflective of you. Whether this takes the form of a few new photographs, a favorite blanket or stuffed animal from home, or even an original artwork for the wall, is up to you to decide! Don’t be afraid to get creative!

Must-have: String of lights with working light bulbs

It is a true, but sad fact of life that the beautifully perfect string lights we bought at the beginning of the semester will always, inevitably fail us after a few months. Hopefully it is just one or two of those little babies that stop glowing, and you can just let it go. But if the whole thing goes out, know that there might be a quick fix you can try! Sometimes, when one bulb goes out, it affects the rest of the string. So instead of panicking alone in your newly dark room, try to find the one that killed it all, and it might just light the room back up!

Cover that white wall space with something… anything!

Nothing is more boring than a blank, white wall… except four blank, white walls. Use posters, photos, signs, letters, or ANYTHING else to hide those standard cinderblock squares. Use this as a chance to let your personality flow. PS - the more colorful, the better.

Re-arrange the furniture

It’s always a rush to get everything sorted out and unpacked when you first arrive on campus. But now that you’ve been living in your space for a few months, and have been able to spy on other people’s layouts, consider switching up the arrangement to maximize space or get more organized!

Actually clean it

I know, I know, this is not what you wanted to hear. But sometimes a quick vacuuming spree can really make a difference in the look (and smell) of the room.

Extra effort, for the (responsible) adventurer in you: consider adopting a pet

If the rules allow it, and if you think you’re up to it, consider adopting a fish from a local store to bring some life (literally) to your room. But please do nature a favor and purchase pets responsibly.