5 Verses To Encourage Discipleship In College

My faith has given me energy and made my day more positive.
7

Let's face it, college is hard and it's so incredibly confusing. It's this weird phase in your life where you're viewed as an adult but in many ways still treated like a child. We can vote and file taxes but no one wants to hear what we have to say about our political views or personal beliefs. You're constantly told that your opinion is invalid or wrong just because someone doesn't agree with you and it becomes very discouraging. Believe me, I know this first hand.

Picture this, you're having lunch with someone you know very well, hand out all the time, and view as one of your best friends. Then all of a sudden you find yourself crossing that line that no one seems to ever cross in college, you begin to talk about your faith and the love you have for Jesus Christ. As you're talking you notice the smile fade from your friends face, her eyes wandering, and her face begging you to change the subject. So what do you do at this point? You feel like you should change the subject but at the same time, you don't because as a Christian, you're called to make disciples.

I've made the decision to do both and let me tell you I will always regret the times I changed the subject but never the times I've continued to talk about my faith. I have met more genuine friends, accountability partners, and fellow believers than I ever imagined I would. Leaving the conversations where I changed the subject I would feel discouraged and tired afterward. The first time this happened I went back to my apartment, opened up my bible and read what it landed on. Well, it fell open on Proverbs 17 and to this day I know that the Lord was telling me something because Proverbs 17:22 says "A cheerful heart is a good medicine but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Wow. Talk about a slap in the face. I can honestly say that every conversation I have left talking about my faith has given me energy and made my day more positive.

Ever since that day I always lean on these verses to give me the strength and courage to always cross that line and never feel like I have to change the subject because someone doesn't want to hear what I have to say.

1. Philippians 1:6

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

2. Joshua 1:9

"....Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

3. 2 Timothy 1:7

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline."

4. Philippians 4:13

"I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

5. Colossians 3:23

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men."

So don't let the fact that there is that invisible line that no one ever seems to cross keep you from spreading the love of Jesus. After all, we can vote and file taxes like an adult so let's voice our personal beliefs just like an adult would.