5 Unexpected Things That Happened While Working and Going to School Full-Time

Adding full-time classes to my full-time working life changed everything.

432
Steven Ma

I am 27 year old nutrition and dietetics student. I have lived on my own and supported myself since I left my sophomore year of college. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my education, or career. I changed my major several times, from education, to fine art, to absolutely nothing, to nursing, to medical coding, back to nursing, and finally, to nutrition and dietetics.

I was lucky to have had an "Aha!" moment because it never comes for some. Once I learned what I wanted to devote myself to, I was all in. I even changed my hours at work to include every weekend! So between school and work, I wouldn't have a day off at all during the semester. I expected that keeping my job and starting school would mean I would have early mornings and late nights and that I may not do as well as my classmates with tons of time for tutors and studying. What I didn't expect was ...

1. I learned how to nap in my car.

When my significant other asked me what I had for dinner, most nights I would say, "A nap." I left my house my house at 7 or 8 a.m. to go to morning classes and then went to work until 10:00 p.m. at night. I really needed more sleep some days, and my job has a policy that prevents employees from sleeping inside the company building. So I took my nice sleeping bag from my camping box and learned to sleep in the back seat of my Jeep. My dinner break is forty-five minutes. Most days I was so exhausted I didn't have a problem falling asleep, but a few times after it had snowed it was too cold. On those days I ate away from my desk for a change.

2. I had to move to make it work.

Money got tighter and tighter over the course of my first few months attempting to work and go to school full time. My commute was an hour each way to and from classes, and the gas prices haven't been kind to me in trying to fill and heat my Jeep Wrangler. I had my own apartment at the beginning of the first semester, and it was wonderful, but it was expensive. It was especially expensive for how often I wasn't at home. I was very lucky, and my best friend of over twenty years bought a house two towns over. Moving in with her meant that my commute would be a little bit longer, but my living expenses would dramatically decrease, and I'd have all the benefits of having my closest friend right upstairs. Six months later, I can tell you this was the best decision ever! I love living with her. She has been my partner in crime for as long as I can remember, and going through all these life changes with her has made all the difference.

3. I needed to pack my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Every day.

I follow a gluten and dairy-free diet that helps me manage a serious illness that will leave me down for the count for days if I am exposed. That said, I am also in the middle of a 100 lb natural weight loss, and I am a nutrition student. Food is important to me! So I got a cooler, and brought it with me every day, with all my meals, and all my snacks. Everyday.

4. I learned to enjoy driving 2+ hours per day.

I spend anywhere from 10 to 15 hours per week driving. It was a very difficult transition. It took me a long time to get a handle on the traffic patterns, commute time, and all the extra costs associated with driving so much. I was lonely at first. It was hard spending so much time alone in the middle of the day or late at night when other people weren't available to talk on the phone. I had to learn to make this time work for me! 10-15 hours a week is a lot of time. I turned to audio books, prerecorded study materials, and Spotify. My brother regularly sends me albums and songs to play during my commutes. Learning to use this time as my personal time has changed my perspective on it completely.

5. My priorities would change. Often.

School first, then family first, then me first. It changed all the time. Eat, get gas, pay my rent, nap, snuggle my cat, plan a date with my S.O. My priority was always whatever was most pressing. With no days off, I had to make do with whatever time I had. Occasionally, my to-do list got the better of me. I admit to having a few meltdowns.

I survived them and kept going. "The only way out is through."