5 Underrated Bars in Tuscaloosa, AL

5 Underrated Bars in Tuscaloosa, AL

Going out in college is fun, but these bars don't get nearly enough attention.
203

Tuscaloosa is the home of the Crimson Tide, Nick Saban, some of the best students in the world and some really great bars. Don’t get me wrong, Tuscaloosa is no Athens, and it does not have a huge bar scene, but there are some VERY underrated bars.

High Tide

Many of us have fond freshman and sophomore year memories from good ol’ High Tide. Recently the bar has undergone some changes that I think are making it more than relevant on the Tuscaloosa Bar scene. High Tide has not only changed the literal aesthetics of the bar, but it has gone above and beyond at reaching out to the students. Through its social media to even the DJ's and bartenders it employs, no bar is more interactive with its patrons than High Tide. High Tide even hosts fundraisers for nearly anyone who wants to support a cause. Additionally, High Tide hosts a Wednesday night Beer Pong Tournament where the winner can get a $100 prize. I had a blast playing last week. Also, High Tide is becoming a member of the live music scene. Every Wednesday through Saturday High Tide hires a DJ and has a light show making it a fun dance club without many of the creepers that come from other bars where the dance scene is massive and impersonal. Moreover, "creepers" wouldn't fit in with High Tide's strict "good vibes only" requirement, which is proudly donned on a sign above the front door.

Innisfree

Everyone knows that Innisfree is a great nightime bar, but it is severely underrated for its food and daytime specials. Innisfree is known for its chill environment and crowd, but the best part, I believe, is that the outdoor patio is just as sweet as their indoor space. Plus, where else in Tuscaloosa can you get a pitcher of beer and two hot dogs for only $10? With cheap pitchers of beer, great food and company, Innisfree is a great daytime hang out. Just like their slogan says, “Head to the Free!”

Roxy’s

Martinis and karaoke - what more could a college kid ask for? Roxy’s convenient location downtown is already a plus, but add my sweet, melodious voice on the mic and you’ve got a night to remember…or forget. The best part about Roxy's is that it isn't your average crew, students from Bama, Shelton State, and all around T-town hang out at this cool bar.

Rhythm & Brews

I’ve said it before and will say it again; Tuscaloosa isn’t one for a crazy bar scene, but y’all…. Rhythm & Brews has a mechanical bull! Where else can you find such an awesome experience?With great live music, the bull, and great drink specials, it’s an understatement to say that this bar is underrated.

The Alcove

The Alcove, with it's cream colored brick façade, grilled windows, and stained glass front door, looks and feels like a local drinking tavern that you might find nooked in a small French village next to a whistle stop bed and breakfast rather than its present location behind the Tuscaloosa District courthouse. Those familiar with the bar know that this is no surprise as the owner of the bar designed it based on personal experiences from traveling across Europe. So if you're a college student and feel like pretending you're an adult, no bar in town has Alcove beat. That's right, at Alcove, you can wear your favorite kicks or heels and not worry about getting them covered in bud light and yagerbombs. Additionally, you won't find a smoke machine, strobe light, or Future playing at Alcove. Jokes aside, Alcove's drink menu is no joke - the bar offers around 150 different beers and a range of liquors. There are lots of TV’s to catch sports, bar stools, booths, and tables, two bathrooms, and a covered outdoor patio (that's heated during the winter).