5 Tips To Help Students Beat Procrastination This Semester

For those of us who already starting to drown in homework assignments, here are five tips to help keep our procrastination—and stress—at bay.

31
Photo by Debby Hudson on Unsplash
Photo by Debby Hudson on Unsplash

It's still the beginning of the fall semester, but I've already heard my fair share of "I have so much homework!" exclamations. COVID-19 has moved a good amount of our classes online, which makes staying engaged and keeping up with homework even more difficult than with in-person classes. Procrastination is slowly creeping up for most of us, and I've noticed several people have already started procrastinating. For those of us who already starting to drown in homework assignments, here are five tips to help keep our procrastination—and stress—at bay.

1. Write your homework down in a planner or calendar.

September 1 GIF by Oh So Paper Giphy

Writing down all of your homework assignments in a planner helps keep them organized. Checking your planner regularly keeps you up to date with what's due. Writing it in a calendar can be a huge help because you can hang it anywhere for easy access. You can even put assignments into your phone's calendar to make things even more convenient. Some programs even have calendars that are accessible to students to upcoming assignments and due dates. It doesn't hurt to write homework assignments in several places that you can see or check every day, though. The key is to make sure that you can see your assignments easily and often.

2. Reach out to your professor if you’re still struggling.

Talking Long Distance GIF by HannahWitton Giphy

Although professors keep up with updating assignments and required materials for each week or module, they're still human and can forget to update things sometimes. If you're still struggling with finding an assignment or need more clarification, reach out to them either through email or through their preferred method of communication. Even setting up appointments to meet during their office hours can be beneficial to help clarify your questions. Talking to your professor in person is certainly different than messaging them electronically. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how you are communicating with them as long as you are reaching out. Simply do what they ask and be open to their feedback.

3. Set a time and place for studying.

Study Group Friends GIF by Sunnyside Giphy

We've all been there. It's the night before a due date and we try to cram everything in or leave every math homework assignment until ten minutes before it's due. Stop doing this to yourself! Doing fourteen math questions that have seven parts each is a lot, so save yourself strain, stomach ulcers, and sleepless nights. Set some time to get a few hours of studying in or to tackle one paragraph of an essay at a time; in other words, divide and conquer! It also helps to get out of your regular study place and switch up the scenery, like going to the library, coffee shop, or even a study group.

4. Take study breaks.

i need a break GIF Giphy

Although getting your work done is a weekly goal in school, we all need to take a break sometimes, and that's okay! When you've pushed yourself to the limit, make sure you listen to your body; no matter how important the assignment is, a person cannot function without food or sleep. I'm not saying your work is not important, but you need to put your health and well-being first in order to stay healthy. It might be helpful to set a timer for twenty minutes for work and then take a five-minute break. This method helped me get into a groove of studying, and I adjust the time based on the material I'm studying.

5. Find what works for you.

studying jane the virgin GIF Giphy

This is only a list of a few helpful suggestions to help my fellow college kids struggling with homework assignments, but it is up to you to find what works for you. Everyone is different when it comes to studying. Some people like to study in groups, while others like peace and quiet. At the end of the day, you are the one putting in the effort and studying, so find what works for you.

Have a great fall semester!