5 Tips To A Healthier Lifestyle

5 Tips To A Healthier Lifestyle

Health = Happiness

11
5 Tips To A Healthier Lifestyle
Anschutz Wellness

Hey there, odyssey readers. It's been a hot sec since I last wrote for all of you (major thanks to my EIC for loving me anyways). These last few weeks have been rough, to say the least, and they've made me realize a few things about myself. For those that don't know, I spent six days in a hospital in Rhode Island where I was attending school. Rhode Island is anywhere from six to eight hours away from my Pennsylvanian home and where my family currently resides. So, when 911 was called at 1 am on a Wednesday morning for a coughing attack that wouldn't let up for 6 hours, you could say I was nervous. Thankfully, my bomb-ass roommate tagged along, making everything a little less scary.

Now that I am doing better, I have realized that I really need to take care of myself because, for whatever reason, I was blessed with a weak immune system (yay me!). In recent weeks, during my medical leave, I have taken the time to do some research to help me be happy and healthy (and hopefully not have to spend any time in the hospital anytime soon).

1. Work out 4-6 days a week.

Since restarting my workout regimen, I have felt so much better. While I was sick, I had dreams about running on a treadmill or elliptical. Before I was admitted to the hospital, I was working out every morning at 7 a.m. with my roommate. It was fun and really energized my mornings! Not to mention, working out helps you to be happy. Like Elle Woods said, "exercising releases endorphins that make you happy!" Positivity is an important part of my life, and I try to be as positive as possible. If working out helps me with that, then I don't see why I wouldn't do it.

2. Change your eating habits.

It's hard to eat healthy at school because nine times out of ten, you're stuck with whatever the dining hall has to offer, but I promise, it is possible. Stick to healthy fats, like avocados and egg yolks, in every single meal. Healthy fats keep you fuller longer. Stay away from carbs, like bread or pizza, because they can make you sluggish throughout the day. Too much sugar will make you feel sick, and you need to have a good bit of lean proteins in your diet. That means stay away from red meat, but eat all the grilled chicken or fish that you want!

3. Drink A LOT of water.

Especially in school, I didn't drink enough water. I was always dehydrated, and since my medical leave, I have really come to find that I need at least 8 cups of water per day, if not more. A good friend of mine once told me to divide my weight in half and that's the number of ounces of water I should drink in a day. So if you're 200 lbs, you need to drink 100 oz. of water each day. It's also not as hard as you think it is; my best suggestion is to take your water bottle everywhere with you. I don't mean to just take it to the gym or the store with you. I mean, you should take it into each room with you, and fill it up often! You can also add healthy fats like chia seeds into your water. They're like mini boba to chew on and it's super yummy. I also like to make different detox waters to sip on all day long! My favorite is strawberry and mint; I let it steep in the fridge overnight! It's especially good on a hot summer day!

4. Find a workout regimen that works for you!

If you go to your local gym, there will be a variety of different workout classes to try! Recently, my mom took me to yoga, and I'm not sure it's my thing, but it was a fun experience. You can also buy different workout videos and sets for your home! I have a Pilates kit in my room that I'm just dying to try. Not to mention, YouTubers post a ton of in-home workouts all of the time! All you need to do is follow along.

5. Don't stop.

It's okay to have a cheat day; in fact, you can have one every week if you want. It's okay to mess up, it's okay to slow down, and it's okay to get worn out, but it's not okay to stop. Health isn't something that you can just put down for a few weeks and pick back up when your feel like it. It's a constant battle, fighting cravings, working hard in the gym, and working even harder in the kitchen. This is a lifestyle. If you want to be healthy, you have to earn it, work for it, and want it.

Stay healthy, stay happy, and stay working.