5 Tips To Start The Semester Off Right

5 Tips To Start The Semester Off Right

Help organize your academics in these simple ways.

13
5 Tips To Start The Semester Off Right

Now that the new semester has begun, it's time to evaluate how to prepare for the coming caseload. With a New Year just beginning, it is the perfect excuse to Here are some basic pointers that you should consider to help you start this semester off right.

1. Go to Office Hours

Your professors play a significant role in determining how well you academically perform. It may seem intimidating to interact with professors of large lecture classes, but they are often more than happy to review material. Meeting with professors during office hours can not only improve your performance in their course, but also can yield strong professional relationships. Professors working in fields that interest you are an incredible resource that can help you find internships or research opportunities in the future -- never be afraid to ask for their help!

2. Talk to Your Counselors

The last thing anyone wants is to be ready to graduate, only to discover they have not met an arbitrary requirement. Counselors prevent that scenario by helping you navigate the course requirements of your major or your school. Counselors, like professors, can inform you of different opportunities associated with your academic coursework. In addition to academic aide, counselors can refer you to the career development and placement services or the counseling center if they see it as necessary. Counselors are an underutilized resource that provides students with the necessary support and aid for academic success.

3. Google Drive is your friend

Google Docs is my preferred word processor because you can access it from any computer with Wi-Fi access and because you can share documents. Having access to your files at all times allows you to edit your essays in your spare minutes before class. Even if you forget your laptop at home, you can still use one of the many on campus computer labs or borrow a friend's. This same friend can also edit your document using the share feature. The share feature is perfect for editing, but also works very effectively for collaboration on group projects. Google Drive also allows the user to make folders. Folders allow you to organize your files by course, which can help the user find the file they are searching for expediently. Once you are done with a course, you can download said file, delete it from your drive, and remove unnecessary clutter from the drive in order to prepare. Drive also has limitless useful applications that can help accommodate for all of your needs.

4. Physical Organization

On top of organizing your files digitally, it is essential to organize your physical papers and folders. Keeping your binders and folders neat not only keep your papers in good condition, it also prevents loss of important notes and materials. Sometimes, buying notebooks and folders of the same color for each course helps eliminate unnecessary stress about picking up the right notebook. If you are feeling especially well-organized, you could even pick up pens that correspond to the course's notebook and folder colors and write down your work in that color pen in your agenda.

5. Keep Track of Due Dates

After add/drop period ends, it is essential that every student collects their syllabi and writes down all major assignments in their agenda or calendar. Collecting all the information in one place prevents students from forgetting due dates. In addition to preventing missed assignments, it also helps students decide when to study and plan for essay assignments based upon when they need to complete other assignments.

With all these list items considered, it is also important to acknowledge that not everyone studies or learns in the same way. Although some may swear by each of these methods, there are some who need other types of organization in order to achieve academic success. Ultimately, the most important part of performing well is learning how to help yourself.