5 Tips On Dealing With A Depression Crisis

"You are not weak, you are in fact brave and strong"

305
Huffington Post

Unfortunately, depression is becoming more and more common nowadays. The stigma it gets has a big role as to why that is. People are becoming more and more depressed every day and don’t know what to do about it. Getting help can be a very scary thing, however it is the best thing you can do. Just taking those first steps will change your life for the better. You are not weak, you are in fact brave and strong.

There can be moments of crisis when dealing with depression, however it is important to know some tips that can help deal with the moments. Here are “5 Tips On Dealing With A Depression Crisis”.

1. Call 911 Immediately

Although this may be an obvious one, I just wanted to reiterate it. If you feel you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call 911 immediately. Just the thought of calling 911 can be a very scary thing, however if it is an immediate emergency it is a must and they will help immediately.

2. Chat Or Call The National Suicide Prevention Hotline

This one helped me the most in all. With this hotline you can chat or call about anything. Whether it be you are just down and sad or you or someone you know is in immediate danger. They are there to talk to you about anything you want. It really helped me and calmed me down in those times. It is completely anonymous and I really do encourage reaching out to them. You can learn more information and chat them at suicidepreventionlifeline.org or call them at 1-800-273-8255.

3. Count

This one also helped me a lot. You may be a little confused about this one. Let me explain: In times of a crisis, things seem to be usually going by so fast or really slow and you are tempted to take immediate action somehow. In times like this, count. Count to 10, 50, 100, as much as you can for as long as you can. This could help take your mind off of things and give you a few minutes to think clearly before you take any unhealthy action. Even counting to 10 can help. In 10 seconds, maybe you can try to text or call someone. Maybe turn on some music to calm down to. Maybe start doing something you enjoy that will take your mind off of things. The goal is to get time to get your mind off of things.

4. Light

Many times when we are depressed, many people will turn the lights off and lie down or sit down. If you are having a crisis this could help feed the depressing feelings. Something as simple as turning on the lights in your room or wherever you are (if you are indoors) can help immensely. It is hard to explain how it helps, however it just makes a “brighter” environment that can help you feel more calm and ok.

5. Seek Help From A Therapist/Psychiatrist

For many people, talking to a therapist can help immensely. It gives you a safe, judge free environment with a professional. They know how to help and can suggest many different things and help you through moments. A psychiatrist can also prescribe you the proper medicine needed that can also help immensely to someone.

While these are only a few tips, there are many more tips for dealing with a depression crisis. It is important to know that everyone is different and deals with things differently. One thing can work really well for someone while it doesn't work at all for someone else. However, if you don’t try, you will never know.