5 Tips For The Best Semester

5 Tips For The Best Semester

College is a learning process - learn from my mistakes!

31
5 Tips For The Best Semester

Even though I will be entering my fourth semester of college this upcoming January, *woah* I can assure you that I still haven't figured this whole "college" thing out yet, and I most likely never will So, if you're a college student who's feeling a little defeated right now, listen up! Every part of college is a learning experience -- every class you take, every dorm you live in, every friendship and relationship you have. Take it all one day at a time, but learn from your mistakes along the way. Better yet, learn from my mistakes! Here are some of my tips to help YOU have the best semester possible:

1. Don't buy the book until you know you need it.

Even if it seems like there's no way you could get through the class without the book, there probably is. I don't recommend not buying a book if you have readings due every week and need it to study for exams, but if your teacher gives you handouts every lecture and only tests you on that, don't buy the book. You'll want to kick yourself.

2. Don't always believe what you hear about professors.

I walked into a class this semester convinced that I was going to dislike the professor, based off of what my friends had told me. After the first class, I thought to myself, "Wow, that actually wasn't bad at all," and it really wasn't! SO, don't judge professors before you meet them.

3. Wake up early before class and do homework.

If you have an 8 a.m. class, disregard this. However, if an 11 a.m. is your first class of the day, wake up early and get. work. done. I've found this to be extremely beneficial this semester, and realized that it allows me to get the most out of my free time. Plus, it motivates me to actually get out of bed and go to breakfast.

4. If you have a presentation, wear comfortable shoes all day until you have to present.

Professional-looking shoes are often uncomfortable. And comfortable shoes are usually not the most professional-looking. But will you be graded on how professional you look as you walk through campus? No! You might look weird wearing rain boots with a dress skirt and a blouse, but at least you won't have to dodge puddles and grates in a painful pair of heels. Take the road less traveled; wear the rain boots.

5. Look in your planner every day.

Maybe it's just me, but there will be weeks that I'm super dedicated to filling out my planner and there will be a week or two that I barely look at it. This always ends badly. If you put assignments or events in your planner (especially far in advance) make sure you use it and/or look in it EVERY DAY. Things will sneak up on you, and it's the worse feeling ever to be the only person who doesn't have the assignment prepared for class. You don't want to be that person.