5 Tips For Stress-less Organization In College

"Throughout all the excitement of starting college last year, there are a couple things I wish I would've known to help make a more successful transition into the dorms."

6
Darling Magazine

With two weeks till move-in day for the freshmen at Vanderbilt, I've been jarringly reminded that school is starting soon and it won't be long before I'm back on campus again. Throughout all the excitement of starting college last year, there are a couple things I wish I would've known to help make a more successful transition in the dorms. So whether you're going to be a freshmen or are a returning student like me, here are 5 tips for stress-less organization throughout the school year.

1. Make lists for everything and keep them in a visible place.

Whether it's a daily to-do list reminding you to pick up deodorant from CVS, check your mailbox at the post office and get lunch with a friend, or it's a list of restaurants and cafes you want to try in Nashville, write everything down. Not only will you instantly feel better not having to hold all the reminders in your head, but now you also have a sure-fire way of accomplishing so much more, if not everything you've wanted to do.

2. Keep a planner (and actually use it).

This is probably one of the most generic, but also most helpful back to school tips you'll ever hear. It doesn't matter whether it's a tangible paper copy that comes with stickers or on your laptop through Google calendar; just find a system that works best for you that you know you will be able to practically utilize. As soon as you get your syllabus, record every due date, test, and project deadline to ensure nothing takes you by surprise. Whenever given a larger and probably more weightily graded assignment like a research paper, set smaller daily tasks throughout the semester leading up to the deadline so that when the time comes you are confident in your work, instead of rushing at the last second with no books available in the library and two other midterms on your plate as well (because this exact situation totally didn't happen to me).

3. Clear your desk (and your head).

A clean work space sets up for an uncluttered mind, which can be hard to find in a place like college where it feels like you're being constantly being bombarded with everything from opinions to social events. For me, my room is ideally a space I can go to relax and detach from the outside world for even a couple of minutes before going through my day again. Although I was terrible at keeping my desk clean last year, the times it was organized had a direct correlation to when I felt most in control and put-together. Mental health is super important to maintain when transitioning to college and often does not get enough mention, so however you find it, even if it's not in having a clean desk top, remember to take some time for yourself.

4. Have a consistent cleaning routine for your room.

Similar to having a clear space to work on your desk (or just do your makeup), your room is an important place to keep organized. I found it helpful to have one day a week be my laundry day while I studied in the laundry room or lobby. This meant never running out of underwear and always having the perfect outfit ready instead of lying scrunched up on the floor. Laundry days were also perfect for running any errands and catching up on any miscellaneous tasks I hadn't been able to do that week, as well as planning for the next week to come.

5. Music will be your best friend (or can help you find one).

This last tip may seem unrelated, but trust me, speaking as someone who isn't affected much by caffeine, I can tell you if there's one thing that got me through a late night study session (don't cram for tests, kids!), a couple hours cranking out an essay, or even just to make folding my laundry more entertaining, it's been music. Creating or following playlists on Spotify is one of the easiest ways to motivate yourself to keep going during finals while also burning through a couple of new albums you've wanted to listen to. It can even be a great way to get a conversation going, because in my opinion, a similar taste in music is one of the best ways to make a new friend.