5 Times The Internet Ruined Your Favorite Characters

I'll never watch SpongeBob the same way again.
177

For years, the internet has provided the world with access to limitless knowledge.

Then, one day, people discovered that it could be used for... other things.

Chief among these other things is perverting otherwise family-friendly characters. If you've been on the internet long enough, you would've ran into countless instances of popular characters being made to do things that you would NEVER see them do in their typical mediums. While there are plenty of instances to choose from, these five particular instances take the cake:

5. Rule 34

While this entry doesn't involve a particular character perversion, it's definitely a category that most of them fall under. Rule 34 is a generally accepted rule of the internet that states that internet pornography exists for literally any subject (even inanimate objects). In terms of character perversions, this rule usually takes the form what is generally known as "shipping". To "ship" is to engage in the act of taking two characters from a movie or show, and portraying them as a passionate couple through fan-art or fan-fiction (even if the characters at hand are not actually romantically involved in their medium).

4. Racist Mario

Talk about a game of Mario Kart gone horribly wrong. In this popular YouTube video, we see a Mario Kart race that features some characters from outside the Nintendo brand. To say that Mario doesn't react well to this is an understatement. Mario takes to the track and starts killing all the non-Nintendo racers, while also killing the actual Nintendo racers for being "race traitors". The video does everything it can to make Mario look like an asshole; from telling non-Nintendo racers to go back to their "own consoles" and shouting "Nintendo Power!", to implying that he is domestic abuser. Don't worry, he gets whats coming to him.

3. Pamtri's SpongeBob Videos

SpongeBob SquarePants has been the subjection of many internet perversions. But, the videos made by YouTuber Pamtri based around the sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea stand out. Most of these videos are re-tellings of popular SpongeBob episodes, only with cheaply made CG animation, robotic voices, and a lot more creepy. All of these videos are disturbing, but the recreation of the Krusty Krab Pizza episode is by far the most disturbing.

2. Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series

In 2007, YouTuber LittleKuriboh started a web series that portrayed the hit anime Yu-Gi-Oh! in a more comedic light, through the use of editing scenes from the show and dubbing over the dialogue. The series pokes fun at elements of show that fans start to notice as they grow older, such as Joey's exaggerated Brooklyn accent, Kaiba's... fascination with dragons (particularly white ones with blue eyes), and the fact that no one in the show actually knows how to play the card game. The series is also responsible for some of the most memorable lines to be associated with the franchise, such as:

"Screw the rules, I have money!"

"BROOKLYN RAGE!"

and my personal favorite, "DURO! MONSTA CARDO!".

1. Shrek is Love, Shrek is Life

First of all, I am NOT providing a link to this video. Second, if you have not seen this masterpiece of character perversion, beware if you do eventually watch it. I guarantee that you will have one of two reactions. You will either laugh at the WTF-ness you're witnessing, or you will cry knowing you have seen something you wished you hadn't. Regardless, the shock and/or pain you'll suffer from this video will never be ogre.

Yes, I said that.