5 Thoughts on 5 Disney Remakes

5 Thoughts on 5 Disney Remakes

In honor of the recently announced live-action "Snow White," let's see if these five remakes will be the fairest of them all

36
5 Thoughts on 5 Disney Remakes
The Independent

Many Disney remakes are in development, but these remakes have been confirmed by Disney. (x)

MovieWeb

1. Dumbo

As an idea, this could be very interesting. The new “Pete’s Dragon” had a whole new story, which had the adults researching about Elliot and being more interested in him. Maybe this version of “Dumbo” can have the circus audience & the publicity be more interested in him and the focus movie could be about the reception of Dumbo’s fame, a la “Charlotte’s Web.” Additionally, an upgrade could be nice because of the African American stereotypes, especially the infamous crows.

The issue I have with the movie is the director attached, who is Tim Burton. First off, this is a random choice for an animal-focused movie (despite that he wrote and directed 2012’s “Frankenweenie”). Most importantly, I don’t want to see another Disney classic gothified. To his credit, “Alice in Wonderland” can be easily done in a gothic and punkish direction because of the bizarre elements in the story. Burton’s gothic/punkish style could work in one of Disney’s most famous scenes, “Pink Elephants on Parade” and it could look very cool. But, minus that scene and the tragic Mother subplot, the story and setting itself are very simple. If Burton does a gothic direction, how will this affect the characters and the atmosphere? If Burton does a simple direction, how will it look? Most importantly, who will Johnny Depp play?

MovieWeb

2. Mary Poppins, aka Mary Poppins Returns

Now, this is the big Disney remake. A lot of pressure to make this one perfect! You can justify Disney doing another “Mary Poppins” because Walt Disney himself wanted to do a sequel. But, the difficult creator/author of “Mary Poppins” P.L Trevors was so disgusted with the movie, she banned the Disney Company from doing any more “Mary Poppins” projects until giving them a blessing to do a Broadway musical right before her death in 1996. So, in a time of remakes, this is a perfect time to revive the project.

The movie will take place after 20 years, where Mary Poppins returns for the children of Jane and Michael from the original film. This is supposed to include many elements from all of the books, including Mary Poppins being meaner, as Trevors requested to Walt Disney in the 1960s. Instead of Bert (so far), there’ll now be a lamplighter named Jack, who will be played by “Hamilton” superstar, Lin Manuel-Miranda. Furthermore and not surprisingly, it isn’t Julie Andrews (who won an Oscar for her iconic role) who’s Mary Poppins, but Emily Blunt. Richard Sherman isn’t doing the music anymore (sadly Robert Sherman passed away in 2012), but “Hairspray” lyricists Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman.

I have mostly positive feelings about this. I am so thrilled for Lin Manuel-Miranda, who is skyrocketing in Hollywood. I don’t know him personally, but you can just tell he’s so kind and gracious from interviews and fan encounters. And for him to be in something potentially legendary is so thrilling to watch. I am so happy for Wittman and Shaiman. “Hairspray” is my all-time favorite musical and to hear their big and splashy musical styles in a Disney movie will be heavenly. And if Walt Disney wanted to do a sequel, why not?

But, my gigantic problem is obvious: Julie Andrews is not Mary Poppins. I know she’s too old to play Mary Poppins, but at the same time, she isn’t. The story could have Emily Blunt being Mary Poppins’s daughter who is trying to be nanny like Mary was. The real Mary Poppins, aka Julie Andrews has retired and she wants her daughter to continue with the business.

Instead, they’re replacing Julie Andrews in her own role. Julie Andrews IS Mary Poppins with her beauty, her voice, her proper acting, and her snappy wit. Nothing can replace that. Andrews is still alive, so why take her role and give it to someone else? Emily Blunt might be a great choice, but it will not be “Mary Poppins” with Poppins herself. Thankfully, Andrews and Dick van Dyke are in talks to make cameos in the film.

In addition, the animation worries me. The movie is famous for its live action/animated sequences. Will Disney keep the magical 2D animations or will they make the movie awkward and dated with CGI animation instead?

YouTube

3. The Lion King

This is the remake I was really hoping Disney was going to avoid and big shocker---they’re doing it. This problem writes itself. This is a 100% remake. Unlike “Jungle Book” and “Dumbo” whose main characters are humans, but side characters are animals, this is all animals. No humans in sight. Hence, all of the characters are all CGI, in other words, computer animated like every Pixar, Dreamworks, and Disney movie today. Despite new twists, scenes, songs (possibly), and script, this is still “The Lion King.” So, what’s even the point of remaking this? Especially if it’s a musical. Like “Be Our Guest” in the remake of “Beauty and the Beast,” how will the songs look in CGI? If I wanted to watch “The Lion King,” it would be the original because it’s the same, exact thing. Unless the cast somehow gets me interested, I’m passing on this one.

E!

4. Cruella

Again, I’m passing on this one. First, Disney already remade “101 Dalmatians” (and made it better than the original), so why even attempt again? Second, we already have perfect Cruellas, which are Glenn Close in the remake and Victoria Smurfit in “Once Upon a Time.” So, why put Emma Stone as Cruella? Third, of all Disney villains to have a backstory, why is it Cruella? Maleficent was terrible for many reasons, but at least Maleficent deserves to have a backstory. Why would we want to know how Cruella became obsessed with killing animals for fur? In fact, Cruella already has a backstory from “Once Upon a Time”and they made the answer quite clear why she is so evil---

Tumblr

Next!

MovieWeb

5. Mulan

Out of all of the remakes mentioned, THIS is the one that makes perfect sense. “Mulan” is a beloved Disney movie because of the first Asian “princess” who also happens to be a badass. “Mulan” is based on an ancient fable, which the Disney movie follows pretty well. The movie is gorgeous with the animation, the colors, the cinematography, the combat in the fight scenes, and the Chinese tradition. Musical or not, this is scratching to be a Disney live-action remake that can work really well. And with Disney looking for a Chinese newcomer to play Mulan, this is off to a promising start!