5 Things I Never Thought I'd Miss From Studying Abroad

I guess you really don't know what you have until it's gone.

20
Destination360

Returning home after studying abroad is a strange and quite honestly, disheartening experience. I knew there would be countless aspects of living in Italy that I would not only miss but fantasize about on a daily basis.

Savoring a gelato during the day while staring up at the majestic Duomo. Reveling on the steps of Piazzale Michelangelo while taking in the view of a city that became home. Exploring a new museum every week but still returning to the Galleria dell'Accademia to swoon over the statue of David again. Enjoying a tall glass of wine with a steaming bowl of homemade pasta for dinner and grabbing (yet another) gelato for dessert.

But there are also tiny details from studying abroad that I never thought I would I miss so much:

1. Coffee

I never imagined I would miss this mainly because I cannot stand coffee. However, Italy changed everything I thought I once knew about caffeine. I found myself frequently ordering a cappuccino and actually (dare I say) enjoying it! However, the plus side to not being a coffee drinker is that when you return to the US, you're not tempted to bother with the rest when you've already had the best coffee in existence. But I still miss fooling myself into thinking I was teetering on the edge of becoming a coffee drinker.

2. Walking...everywhere.

There came a point during studying abroad when I eagerly looked forward to being able to drive my car again. Although it was nice to cruise around for a few outings, I wish I could go back to walking everywhere. I realize now that leaving the house and spending the day strolling about isn't really a thing. I miss being able to walk down side streets and be greeted by tiny shops and outdoor tables sitting in front of cafes with delicious treats taunting me in the window.

3. Unable to understand nearby (as in most) conversations

At the time, I had a love-hate relationship with being unable to understand conversations taking place all around me. I definitely romanticized the idea of being in a country where I'm learning to speak the language and everything is foreign but still exciting. However, when I couldn't muster up what I needed to say in Italian, it certainly became less-than-ideal to be unable to understand what people were saying. Regardless, I miss being able to speak Italian in everyday conversation.

4. People trying to sell me selfie sticks in virtually every populated area.

Just kidding, I can still confidently say that I do not miss this at all. (Although I can still hear the vendors coaxing, "Selfie??" so does that vivid memory imply I miss it? Too bad I can't take a selfie of my perplexed look right now.)

5. The unknown

I'm the type of person who loves to abide by plans. My days revolve around To-Do lists and a planner full of events eagerly waiting to be crossed off. However, I miss waking up in the morning and spontaneously figuring out what to do with my day.

I miss going on last minute coffee dates after class, taking a study break to travel to Pisa for an hour, deciding to discover a new restaurant or Gelateria the second my stomach growled, or taking side streets that helped me realize how the city was all connected.

I miss the unknown of the adventures that would ensue every day.