5 Things You Should Probably Know By Now But Don't

It might be time to start getting things together.

50

Growing up is exciting -- after years of living under the watchful eyes of your parents, it's finally time for you to break free from the curfews, rules and restrictions that came with being a kid. But with freedom comes responsibility. As fun as the whole "on your own" thing may seem, we start to face some harsh realizations that we're a lot farther from "independent" than we thought we were. If any of these thoughts have crossed your mind recently, don't feel too badly, although you should probably start trying to get it together.

1. Your social security number

Honestly, if I can even remember those last four digits, it's a good day, so forget knowing the whole thing. The woman behind the desk probably gives the "Are you kidding me?" face when you say you don't know your social, but you can (try to) take comfort in knowing that you're still a "young" adult. You'll get 'em next time.

2. How to grill

Hopefully you've at least started to get the hang of the stove/oven/microwave by now. There's just something about those huge open flames that says "disaster waiting to happen." You'd probably prefer to avoid the third degree burns and potential food poisoning.

3. How to change a tire

This is definitely a life skill we all need. Maybe it's easier than it looks; I've never tried it. Someday, we'll figure it out, but until then, AAA is just a phone call away.

4. How to write a resume

it's definitely something that's easier said than done, but it's a pretty basic skill nonetheless. If you don't already have a resume, you should probably get on that. And you'll probably need some help.

5. How to manage money

If you haven't started saving, it's kind of crunch time. Sooner than later, you'll be dealing with college debts, insurance payments and rent. Think before you spend, and learn how to invest. You might want to call your dad.