5 Things I Would Rather Be Than "Hot"

5 Things I Would Rather Be Than "Hot"

Because looks truly are not everything

7
5 Things I Would Rather Be Than "Hot"
8tracks.com

Growing up, parents are expected to press upon their kids that it is whats on the inside that counts and never to judge a book by it's cover. I would like to say that we all take those sayings and remember them our entire lives and that is how we judge people. Unfortunately, that's just not how the world works and our parents even knew that as they were telling us those things. I mean, after all, you're not going to teach your five year old to judge people on outer appearance. It is unfortunately just something we fall into doing as we age. Whether you want to admit it or not you make your first judgment on someone on how they present themselves. After all, first impressions are everything. However, it seems that as the generations grow up, society is becoming more and more focused on outer looks. I mean look we have one presidential candidate that openly speaks badly about women and another who gets judged more for what her hair looked like than whether or not her policies make sense. What people neglect to realize is there are far better things you could be known as than "hot"

1. Respectful

It is honestly disheartening how many people seem to lack basic respect for others. I was brought up to treat others the way I would be want to be treated. As cliche as that saying also is, my parents made sure I did it. A repeated saying I was always told by them was "You don't have to be someone's friend to be friendly with them." Meaning, it is impossible to like everyone and have everyone like you. However, so many people neglect to see that just because they don't like someone does not mean they don't have feelings. Have I always behaved with the utmost respect? Of course not, I'm human and more importantly was a bratty teenager at one point in life. As I grow up, though, I realize how many people lack respect and see how much I do not want to behave like them.

2. Compassionate

I would much rather be known as someone who cares about others and issues rather than the girl all the guys are chasing. In a world that is absorbed in themselves and technology, I much rather spend my time with people. You learn so much more from going to volunteer once a week with under privileged kids or with the elderly for an hour than you will ever learn from the media. Volunteering has helped me to realize how truly fortunate I am to have grown up the way I did. It has also taught me how many children aren't growing up in nearly the same way I was lucky enough to. Half the problem with the world today is people only want to acknowledge their own issues without any regards for others. Spend a little time with others and really learn their story. You would be surprised how compassionate, that alone can make you feel

3. A Good Friend

I may try so hard at this with some people, I end up being hurt. I love my family and friends with all my heart and all of them know I would do anything for them. However, I have also had my fair share of back stabs by people who took advantage of that friendship. As I would cry over it to my mom, she would say "well you were always a better friend to them than they were to you anyway." And as much as that sucked to hear and realize, it wasn't all bad. It showed me that even if I was not receiving the same love and support in return, I was still able to give it.

4. Outspoken

Some people might view this word with a negative connotation, but that's not how I am intending it. I have never been afraid to speak my mind and certainly there have been times that has gotten me in trouble. However, I would rather be known as someone who is unafraid to speak up for what they believe in. Why would I want to live a life being stepped all over by others? As much as it may make some people not like me, I learned it's better to speak up for myself and lose some people in my life than live in secret anger and loathing for the sake of not hurting their feelings with my differing opinion.

5. Strong

I was raised by a woman who never backed down and showed weakness in situations where some may find that as the easier option. My mom has always been my rock and that is exactly what I intend to be. In a world where women are constantly fighting for the same respect as men, especially in regards to outward appearance, I refuse to let it define me. I would much rather be strong emotionally and be called a bitch, than back down in situations of adversity. I find it much more attractive to be strong and confident in who you are as a person than looking like you stepped straight out of a magazine.