5 Things You Need To Worry About Packing For College

Think packing for college is easy? You might need to think harder.

153
The Odyssey Online

Well, the summer is quickly drawing to a close, and now it's time to start packing for school. While most people think you can just throw all your most prized belongings into a suitcase and call it a day, they underestimate what exactly they need to pack, especially when it comes to college dorms. Here are a few things that you might overlook.

1. Furniture

Sure, you say, the dorm room comes with furniture. While it might come with the essentials (bed, drawers, desk, those leaning chairs that are a gift to humanity), you may very well need other items. Such as a television set for your video game consoles, perhaps something for the television to stand on. Where will you keep your schoolbooks? Do you plan on eating in the same place you study, or get a separate table for that? That's not to mention decorations like posters or rugs. And you certainly can't forget the bedsheets. Colleges do not provide the bedsheets.

2. Toiletries

I am aware that some college students might want to skimp out on the personal hygiene products, but trust me, they are essential. Even when you can come to class in sweats every day, you do not want to have bad breath or smell rank. It's usually wise to bring your own of everything you need(deodorant, toothpaste, shampoos, etc...), and extras. Discovering you're out of shampoo in the middle of the shower can lead to many awkward situations with your roommates.

3. Food

While you could eat everything in the dining halls, unless you dole out for an unlimited meal plan, you will be paying out of pocket by the end of the semester, and so will your weight. Having a selection of healthier snacks and other dry food will help balance out your diet, as well as provide something tasty to offer to guests. Of course, then there's the matter of which kinds of snacks you want. When would it expire? Does any of it need to be refrigerated or frozen(and there's something else for the furniture)? How much of any one item do you need, based on your eating habits? If you run out, how do you plan to get more? The questions can be endless.

4. School Supplies

You probably didn't come to college just to hang out in the dorms all day and party. (If you did...well, that's your decision and I honor and respect that.) You need to be ready for your classes. This means binders to hold your papers and syllabi; pens, pencils, and other writing implements; a ream or two of printer paper(getting your own helps avoid the sporadic heartbreak that often comes with using the school printers) as well as staples for the essays; and all the textbooks, either purchased from the bookstore for extortionate prices or online for slightly less. It helps if you have all of these items prepared and ready to use before the term begins. (You don't have to read all the textbooks, those don't count. Just trust me on this one.)

5. Clothing

While it is tempting to just pack up your entire wardrobe(and you might just be able to if you're a guy, lucky ducks you), dorm closets are small, and having a suitcase explode on you is a bad way to start a semester. You need to wean down your closet to just what you expect to wear. While that might sound simple, you also need to be aware of extraneous factors; do you have clothes for when it turns cold/warm? An outfit or two for interviews, another for formals, the "I plan to do nothing today, not even leave my dorm room" outfit(you need that more often than you think)? Any exercise clothes for when you finally make it down to the gym? That's not even mentioning shoes. Dear god, shoes.

I could go on, but I think you get the point by now. Packing for college, or pretty much anywhere you plan to spend large portions of your life, involves lots of planning and forethought. Hopefully, with the help of your parents or a significant other, you will consider all the possibilities, figure out what is needed, get everything together, and then remember the one thing you forgot before you pull out of the driveway. That would be impressive; you usually remember the night after.