5 Things I Wish I Could Tell My Younger Self

A time machine could have come in handy.

48
WordPress

Time travel became almost real with the time machine created by H.G. Wells. We all imagined joining Bill and Ted on an excellent adventure. And it would be amazing to go back to the eighties in a hot tub time machine. There are five things I wish I could have told my younger self if any of these ventures were possible.

1. Sharing Is Caring

We all heard it growing up and chuckled a little at this cliché. I might not have used these exact words, but I would have told my younger self to give with total abandon. Keep giving your time, sharing your talents, helping others. Giving isn't about money, it's about improving the world around you. Everything you do for the world reaps the greatest rewards for you. No effort is too small to matter. It all adds up to a life worth living and sharing.

2. Pursue Your Passion

My younger self should be told to go for my passion. Practicality and sensibility are for wimps. Living in a safe world is a facade that leaves you feeling unfulfilled. Write, paint, dance, sing, heal and do what makes you feel a rush. Making a living with your passion exceeds any other accomplishment. It matters to you and makes you feel whole. This is what memories are made of.

3. It's What You Don't Do That You Regret

The vacations you skipped, the parties you missed, and the scholarships you overlooked are all missed opportunities. Instead of always analyzing life, go live it. Try new things, and put yourself in the center of the action. If you make a mistake, fix it. When you hurt someone's feelings, apologize. There is nothing you can't try to do better the next time. It's what you don't do in life that you will regret.

4. Cut Off The Takers

Jobs that suck your soul and waste your time are takers. People who whine and expect handouts are takers. Gossipers and judgmental people take your self-confidence. There are many takers in life. Learn to recognize them and cut them off immediately. Don't think about being polite or politically correct. Takers never do.

5. Refuse To Take It All So Seriously

Finally, I'd tell my younger self to lighten up. There are always alternative routes and second chances. Life is a winding road, not a straight path. Buckle up, enjoy the ride, and don't take it all so seriously. Some of the worst times in your life offer the greatest wisdom and inspiration. And some of the happiest ones can be missed if you are taking everything too seriously.

Now, where is that hot tub time machine so I can let myself know this stuff? Imagine all the time I could save!