5 Things I Do When My Social Media Feeds Get To Be A Bit Too Much

Here's how I cope.

16

It hasn’t even been a full week since America celebrated its Independence Day. One would think that we are still living in Jim Crow era America with the amount of hate and racism that scourges the internet, that blankets the hearts and minds of many Americans all over the U.S. The gun violence and police brutality that is currently displayed 24/7 for our entertainment over all the airways and media outlets is unrelenting.

After being subjugated to all of the loss, trauma and oppression, from witnessing murder after murder of innocent black lives, a sense of hopelessness and despair begins to take over. It is like a vicious cycle. And after a while, all of the tragic and senseless stories begin to blur into a ball of grief-filled hurt and anger. Being an educated, pro-Black, African-American child born in the age of the internet and social media, I see it all. Every Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr feed, all running the same narrative. On one side, you have the ability to view the destruction and traumatic ruin of the black community, and then on the other side, you have the chance to be a witness to those who fuel hate with more hate. These social media feeds often show the true depravity that ignorance breeds.

I've come to realize that you cannot let all of this pain consume you. Sometimes you have to take a step back and just breathe. There is only so much pain and anguish one can take after seeing countless human beings murdered by people meant to protect and serve.

The Black Panthers and Malcolm X vehemently spoke on the police brutality of their time and provided solutions to help aid the black community, and they did this while America was still coming to terms with its sordid past. Hearing and listening to those great public figures was necessary. That was sort of thing was to be "expected" for that Jim Crow era of living. But today, in 2016, their rhetoric should no longer be needed yet, it is. We are 16 years into the 21st century, and the state of race relations in the U.S. is not that much better off. The racism and discrimination has simply evolved with the times.

My generation has never been so jolted by the in-your-face 24/7 coverage of police brutality and social injustice. And currently, the murders of the Alton Sterling and Philando Castile are played like entertainment on a constant loop for all to see. It is literally traumatizing having to explain to my nieces and nephews what protesting is and why people must do it. The media coverage of these slayings is so prominent and necessary. Sadly, I find myself becoming slightly desensitized to it all. The death and carnage happens so often now that its akin to the way people adjust to graphic and violent video games. It is ridiculous.

When it all gets to be a bit too much, I do a couple of things to help myself decompress and shake it all off.

1. I unplug, do something that has absolutely nothing to do with Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc.

2. I talk about it with people in my circle, get offline. Writing about these issues also helps.

3. I watch shows that will always relax my nerves no matter what. Anything on HGTV and FYI.

4. Sometimes I eat a good meal with friends and family.

5. And when all else fails, baby videos on YouTube always work.

While it is more than necessary to be well aware of the world that we live in, having all of the slayings and injustices of this world and all of the hatred thrown in your face 24/7 is toxic. If you are like me and ever start to feel depressed and in my case (as is the case for black people everywhere in the United States right now) oppressed because of the constant state of terror and threat of murder we live in, unplug. Take a moment to process all of the trauma and try to heal.