5 Things You Can Do This Week For The Best Semester Ever

Helpful tips to crush your next semester!

75
https://www.google.com/search?q=UGA+campus&biw=1077&bih=689&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjts5DQhtfRAhVPySYKHWJtCtYQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=B1Em5ipF5xXt5M%3A

As we college student’s head into a new semester, I am sure that several of us can relate to these five things about getting back into the swing of the semester. Although heading into a new semester brings on a fresh start, new classes, and getting to catch up with old, and/or make new friends, it takes just a little bit of time to get back into the groove of school, extra curricula’s, and just, well being on a schedule in general. I hope these helpful tips put all you smarticle particles on the Dean’s list this semester!

1. Find your classes.

Especially for all of my UGA friends, this one is critical. Even if you are transferring into this wonderful University, entering for the first time, or even finishing up, finding your classes on a campus like UGA’s is very overwhelming. Of course, once you start to get into your major classes you are generally in the same area, but then there are those elective classes that you cannot seem to escape. I suggest going the day before to find your classes, that way the first day isn’t so overwhelming. Ask your friends in your same college of study, and don’t be afraid to ask someone on campus. Leave your house early so you don’t feel rushed. In the end, those fifteen minutes to get across campus for your next class sure does make for some wonderful cardio!

2. Figure out who your professors are.

This is probably one of the most crucial things about coming back into a new semester. Figuring out your professor has a whole lot more to do with just trying to abide by their syllabus. Of course, everything is there in black and white: their grading scale, honor code, attendance policy, etc. However, sometimes our professors do not mention the style of their grading, what they will actually look for in your open-ended response questions on tests, and how they will view the importance of you coming to class regularly. However, it is extremely both annoying and important to figure these humans out. After all, it might take the first month or even the first exam to figure this out, yet once you have mastered this art, only then can you strive and excel in what sometimes feels like the most painful hour and fifteen minutes of your life. Okay, so I’m dramatic….and I may or may not have had a hard test this week.

3. Read the syllabus and gauge the difficulty level of the class.

This applies to all ages of college students. Whether you are a freshman, or a senior with a victory lap ahead, navigating your way through a new set of classes can be tricky. How should I take notes? What is the attendance policy? (I feel like I should say this: Just go to class. That is the best policy). Should I go to regular office hours? These are just a few things that take some time to figure out when jumping back into a new schedule.

4. Find your balance.

To be completely honest, I thought I was extremely organized in high school and was very good at balancing my academics, extra curricula’s, and social life. College challenged that. Finding your balance is pivotal when coming back into a busy semester. I highly recommend a planner; then again I’m the girl that would literally write down what she ate for lunch in hers. Regardless, find a method that works for you.

5. Prepare for the first test of the semester.

Before you realize it, your first test is right around the corner. Isn’t it amazing how it sneaks up on you like that? Preparing for the first test of a new class can be strenuous, yet if you have mastered tips 1-4, I think this one will be a successful result. From experience, stick to whatever helps you the most. Handwrite your notes, print them out and highlight them, color code, make flashcards, throw in a splash of coffee and a good night’s rest and I think these will all do the job. Above all, remember that a number does not define you if you have tried your best. College comes with stress, long nights, and if you’re anything like me and my friends, several calls consisting of “Hey! Can I come cry on your sofa really quick before my next class? Okay, thanks!” However, college comes with new friends, new experiences, and a ton of memories. Work hard, play hard, and be the best version of you.