5 Things To Look Forward To Every School Year

Great Things Can Come From Unexpected Places

14422
Wallpapersxl

School is here for many children and teenagers in North America. The summer days are slowly coming to a close, making way for the warm colors of autumn. With backpacks loaded to the brim with all the necessities for the new school year, students with eagerness or regret enter a new mark of their life. While a school life may not seem exciting to most, there are simply some things that we as students, either now or in the past, can’t simply brush off our shoulders. Here are my five things that we should all look forward to every school year.

1. New Classes

It may seem strange, but I believe a new class and new information is something to look forward to. Sure, you will hear many things about AP World History or Honors Chemistry, but you never know what you’ll find until you experience it for yourself. There are some classes that when I walked in the first time I groaned internally. I thought to myself, I’mnot going to enjoy my time and all this information was useless to begin with; in one ear and out the other, as the saying goes. Time and time again though, I’ve been thoroughly surprised at just how much I enjoyed learning something new and the change of pace. I can’t wait to see what my new classes this year offer and you should try to feel the same as well! Who knows what kind of fascinating things you’ll discover!

2. New Opportunities

Most of my childhood and teenage years have been spent in school. To me, school serves as many things, but the one thing that I have come to accept is the fact that school helped me decide my future. When I was eight years old I wanted to play the violin, just to see what it was like. My mother, however, thought I would be best fit for the clarinet. So, I gave it a whirl and over the course of eight years I’ve been to All State, District Honor Band, Fulton County Honor Orchestra and Music for All in seventh grade. I would have never been able to achieve these things had it not been for my mother or wanting to take a music course. It was my sophomore year of high school that I decided I wanted music to be the center of my life. I love writing and I love music, so why not combine the two? Thanks to sticking with band since fourth grade, I have decided my future. Now, that doesn’t mean I haven’t made any backup plans. Like I just mentioned, I love to write. If I didn’t love it so much, I wouldn’t be writing for The Odyssey. If Plan A doesn’t go as planned, then I would love to become an author, but if it wasn’t for my newfound love of literature and composition, I wouldn’t have wanted that dream. In fact, all the things I hope for I wouldn’t have found if it weren’t for school, shocking as it sounds. I know many of my friends are in the same boat as me. School, in my opinion, is the place where you can decide your future and grow in that particular area, whether it be biology, chemistry, geometry, drama, art, you name it! New opportunities arise no matter where you are, and school is no exception.

3. The Events

Many schools have their ups and downs. Some events may not appeal to some, but others appeal to all. My school, Northview High School, is home to many interesting clubs that host many events. We have our fair share of sporting events as well, and let’s not forget how much fun we can have at a football games (my optimism is really showing here). Regardless of how you feel about homecoming, prom, pep rallys or club events, there’s something here for everybody. I’ve met tons of new people who I am proud to call me dearest friends in events like these, and you can as well! Branch out a little bit, try something new, especially if you’re just starting middle or high school!

4. The Vacations

Ah school. Eventually, all of us are going to need a little break, right? Luckily, someone invented the concept of a vacation. Winter break, spring break, thanksgiving holiday, you name it! A week or two off from the hard work that each and every student puts into their semester is paradise on the other side. Of course, let’s not forget about summer (I know, and school just started for me too!) The best thing I like about breaks though is that it gives you an opportunity to do something better with everything you’ve acquired that school semester, and I don’t just mean academically. School isn’t just there to sharpen your academic qualities. School has helped shape me into the young woman I am and am becoming. It’s made me realize so much about my generation and the generation before me and the generation that will follow me. Learning about people is a treat in itself in my opinion, and with each new year I see a new trait in humanity. Sophomore English Literature and Composition helped me see that. The subject at which each lesson was rooted in, plus my lovely teacher, opened my eyes to a new side of the world, and although ignorance is bliss, realization can be just as sweet. Yes, there are some things that I wish were left unknown to me. But now that I have this moment to reflect on it, knowing the painful truth isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Vacations give us the time to question what we already know, what we’ve come to know and the things we will come to know. Of course, they also allow us to bring out the kid inside of us or give us a chance to embrace our sometimes wonderful friend isolation. No matter where you stand on the social spectrum, you’re sure to get your fill out of each vacation.

5. Making New Friends

This is probably going to sound strange to most, but elementary school was the worst for me. I didn’t have a lot of friends, and I felt hurt many days. Now don’t get me wrong, most of my teachers were very kind people who have been able to see me develop into the young woman I am today, partially thanks to my mother being a teacher at said elementary school. I know what it’s like to feel outcasted, heartbroken, deprived of any warmth and comfort. Something inside me one day changed. I got to middle school and I made so many wonderful friends, and things just got better once I reached high school. I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I very much enjoyed middle school. I guess this is where I thank some of the wonderful friends I’ve made who have stuck by me. August 7th marks International Friendship Day, and in honor of this day I am taking the time to thank some of these wonderful people who I’ve grown to accept as family. Kim Banh is a sweet Vietnamese girl who accepted my quirks and was my best friend in sixth grade. I love everything about this girl. She’s herself no matter what people think and no matter how people look at her. She made me feel loved in middle school, as did Lexie Anthony. Cute in her own way, Lexie Anthony is like a sister I want to protect. She’s someone who has leaned on me for support and come to me when she was stuck. That may sound like a burden to most, but to me it is something I embrace with all my heart. All I could ever ask for is to be relied on. Evan Moody is the sweetest boy I’ve ever met. We’re both open books to each other; two mountains, side by side, supporting one another through the toughest of storms. He’s been there to cheer me up and remind me that I mean something to somebody. I am proud to call you my family, Evan Moody. Trevor Henn and Steven Braynard, you two are like overprotective big brothers. You helped me through my first year of high school and ignited a fire inside my heart. You were the reason why I wanted to be such a great musician and a better christian than I already was. Sara Braynard, you’ve been with me for nearly five years now, and those five years have been quite the ride. You remind me everyday that there is some kind of beauty inside me and a dash of outer beauty. I even consider my band teacher, Kelly Dickerson, a close friend. That may seem strange, but this woman is full of life and wisdom (although she would deny it.) She was the final puzzle piece I needed to decide my future, and she will forever be in my heart. Even if I didn’t name you here, you are important to me. I don’t care if you think the same way I do, but to me you are all family. You have shown me some form of kindness and in return I give you my kindness, my loyalty, my ears when you need to rant or get something off your chest, my shoulders to lean on when you feel like you’re crumbling and breaking apart, my arms to hold you in times of pain and coldness. I give you everything I am, even if the amount of kindness is small. Even if you are a self-proclaimed acquaintance, you are my family. I would have never met any of my wonderful friends if it weren’t for school. If you feel like you have no one there for you, know that I will be here, waiting for you to. To those who feel like they don’t have a friend, well, here I am!

It’s the little details in life that often slip through our fingers. School is so much on the surface, but it is so much more past that. You gotta dig a little deeper, as a Disney song from “The Princess And The Frog” goes. Although school isn’t permanent (except maybe for teachers and professors,) the impact that it leaves on each and every student is. This doesn’t just apply to students in America either. I know that some countries have just started their summer vacations. This applies to you all as well, even if it’s just one thing from this list. And I know there is more you can get from your school years, but imagine if I wrote this much for 20 things; you would be here for a long time and would lose interest, as the human brain can only pay attention for a maximum of ten minutes before it becomes bored. I wish every student good luck this new school year. Look forward to the good things in life. Even if you’re not an optimist, give it a try. You won’t regret it. And hey, if you lose your way, get back up again!