5 Things to ACTUALLY Learn in College

5 Things to ACTUALLY Learn in College

Besides how to find the 5th derivative or know the dates of every battle in your state....

89
5 Things to ACTUALLY Learn in College
https://www.agrocares.com/en/news/magnesium/

1. How to do your taxes...

We all know that the government requires us pay part of our sales, income, and property every year to go towards government programs and the upkeep of governmental offices and affairs each year. What we might not all be adept at is actually paying this money and how to do it in a way that maximizes our personal benefit. What I would suggest to every college student who is not fortunate enough to have accounting parents is to do some research online about programs that hep you draft your tax return every year. There are several places besides an actual class through the college you may attend that are there to help young adults learn what it means to be responsible tax payers. Many online databases are actually made to act as a template for individuals to know how much they can expect from a tax return and what benefits they may qualify for.

2. How to EFFICIENTLY navigate the grocery store

This one is a doozy. Especially since the eruption of a global pandemic that wiped out shelves of a grocery store at a time and limited the number of people allowed inside at once, grocery shopping has become the college student's nightmare. We don't have time to spare with all the school work and actual work going on to try and navigate a jungle-like grocery store. There are a few strategies that can help with navigating the grocery store efficiently. One way is to go in with a plan. Know what you need and think about where it is most likely to be located before entering the store. Another strategy is to write your grocery list according to the layout of the store to avoid backtracking. Grouping together produce, meats, dry goods, and frozen foods is a good way to familiarize yourself with the fastest way to get in and out of the store.

3. How to send a professional email

This is a huge part of transitioning into adulthood. Writing a professional email is one of the number one ways to please professors, bosses, and even students. No one likes to read an email with abbreviated words and terrible punctuation. Again, college students and working adults are very busy. Reading a good email saves a lot of time on trying to figure out the different interpretations of what someone is trying to say when the writing is not coherent. Writing a good email starts with a short introduction, a quick purpose or questions, and a kind, but professional, closing remark. Professional emails are not letters to your friends and loved ones; therefore, they should not be treated as such. These are meant to get the job done, while also being respectful of the recipients time and status.

4. How to communicate with people older and younger than you in a respectful way.

Communication is one of the hardest things to learn when growing up. As kids, we are told when to express how we feel and when to burry things down inside. This can cause us to be confused on what the right and wrong thing to say is as we get older. Different people from different backgrounds are likely to consider some things respectful and some things unacceptable. One thing I remember as a kid is traveling up North to meet my step family and finding that saying "yes ma'am/sir" is a very Southern thing. Up North, this is a smart-ass move and I would suggest avoiding addressing anyone as ma'am or sir in Michigan. Instead, I had to learn to say "yes, thank you". But, in the South, it is considered respectful to refer to other individuals, especially those that are older than you, as ma'am or sir.

The best piece of advice I have ever been given about being respectful to other people is to just give someone the benefit of the doubt. Until something becomes toxic to you or your loved ones, trying to be open-minded about other people is a good strategy when it comes to being kind. I may not know what goes on with someone's family or behind closed doors, so the best thing that I can do is extend grace and kindness with the hope that I will receive the same respect in return.

5. How to say goodbye

As I grow up, saying good bye becomes harder and harder. Even saying goodbye for a few days or hours can be so hard when you really care about someone. As we get older, our time here with the people we love grows shorter and more precious than it was the day before. Saying goodbye is not always a bad thing; it insinuates change and growth and progression. But, that does not mean we don't feel the hole when we have to part with experiences and people. However, I am learning to make peace with the idea that goodbyes are meant to be hard. They are meant to be draining and challenging because they show us how much we are capable of caring. I never want to lose that feeling: the ability to care. So while it is sad, there is something beautiful about learning what a goodbye can mean to us as individuals.