5 Things To Do In Oneonta, NY

5 Things To Do In Oneonta, NY

Why this small city in upstate NY is not one to pass up!

2515
5 Things To Do In Oneonta, NY

Oneonta, New York is a small city nestled in the hills of the Catskill Region. The town is full of local vibrance with late night pizzerias, quaint shops with small town charm, eclectic tattoo parlors, lively night time bars, local restaurants that quickly become favorites and so much more. Known for the two colleges in the area, SUNY Oneonta and Hartwick College, it's safe to say that the city is full of life and people looking for ways to spend their time.

As a soon-to-be alumnus, I know the occasional struggle of thinking there's nothing to do in a small place like Oneonta, so I decided to come up with a list of 5 things to do in Oneonta when you think there's nothing else left!

1. Hike to Table Rock (free)

Drive up to the tip top of Hartwick College to see beautiful scenery and enjoy a fun day of something free to do. The hike is not strenuous and therefore can be enjoyed by anyone. I recommend going at the end of summer, or right as the leaves change, for the best view of all! Be sure to bring some friends, a picnic lunch and a camera for a day's worth of adventure.

P.S. For additional hiking nearby, check out Strawberry Fields ,which is in walking distance from Table Rock.

2. The Joseph L. Popp Butterfly Conservatory ($$)

Head over check out some butterflies, reptiles and even a sloth at the Popp Butterfly Conservatory. Admission prices are as follows: $12.00 for adults, $9.50 for children, seniors and students with ID! The butterflies can be seen during the warmer months of summer, fall and spring but the conservatory is open daily from 10:00 AM -5:00 PM.

3. Day Trip to Cooperstown ($-$$$)

So ~technically~ this isn't Oneonta but it's close enough so we'll count it! There's a bus that takes you right from O.P.T station on Main Street to Main Street in Cooperstown. Now this can be a very inexpensive day trip if you take the bus which is free with a swipe of your student ID or about $1.50 without it, however if you drive it will cost a bit more (try to find free parking!)

If you're into sports, check out the Baseball Hall of Fame (Adult admission is a little pricey at $23.00 but I've heard it's worth it!) or try to get tickets to a game at Doubleday Field.

If you're looking for a cheaper excursion, the shops lining the streets, stopping by the Farmer's Market on weekends, a walk down to the waterfront and lunch at any of the many restaurants (I recommend the Cooperstown Diner) will keep you busy all day and help you stick to your budget!

4. Check out local restaurants and bars* ($-$$$)

*Bars if you're of age to do so

Main Street Oneonta is lined with delicious locally owned restaurants for you to try! Haven't been to Latte Lounge yet? Grab your laptop and order up, then hang around and do some work while connected to their free wifi. Be sure to chat with the owner, Dave, and you'll always have someone to visit with whenever you go!

Are you #TeamSals or #TeamTinos? Stop by both pizzerias, order a slice and pick your side!

Craving delicious wings and onion rings the size of your head? Check out wing night at The Depot, but be sure to make a reservation!!

Date night? Special event? Head over to Stella's Luna for an Italian meal that's worth every penny (be prepared for an expense though!)

Casual lunch? Cool atmosphere? You HAVE to check out The Yellow Deli, the staff is friendly and The Deli Rose is so good you can't put it down!

That's only the tip of the iceberg of local food to check out, try something new each time and you'll never get bored!

5. Spend some time at SUNY Oneonta's College Camp! ($-$$$)

Great for hiking, nature observations and beautiful sunrise or sunset views, College Camp also has cabins you can rent for the day, the night or a whole day and night!

With a student ID all you need is to put down a $25 refundable deposit and the cabin is all yours! Make a reservation with friends and have a blast spending the night together!

If you're not a student, the overnight fee can be a little pricey with the full day and evening at $300 and working its way down the less time you spend there, but it could still be a fun investment with a large group all splitting the cost!