5 Things That Every Ginger is Tired of Hearing

Who would've thought that red hair and freckles can prompt so much conversation?

44
Flickr

As a ginger, I've received my fair share of grade school teasing and stereotyped questions that come along with having pale skin and red hair. I've withstood the years of ridicule and found comfort in bonding with fellow gingers. And through it all, I've come to realize that being a ginger is actually pretty freaking cool.

Although I'm not expecting people to stop asking us ridiculous questions like whether or not we have souls (seriously where did this one even start?) these are some of the things you should maybe think twice about before saying to us, because they're kind of getting old.

1. "You're like sooooo pale"

Yeah, we have pale skin, we get it. And guess what, no matter how hard we try to get a tan, we just end up with horrible sun burns. So thank you for telling us what we already know, and for holding your arms up to our skin to show us how much more tan you are than us.

2. "You don't have a soul"

Oh my gosh! You're telling me that I don't have a soul just because I have red hair? Wow, that totally makes sense. Okay, no. Contrary to popular belief, we do indeed have souls, and just because we have red hair doesn't make us any different than the average blonde or brunette.

3. "Why don't you ever want to go out in the sun?"

One of the small, yet manageable, disadvantages of being a ginger is going outside when the sun is heavily blaring. Hanging out in the heat isn't worth the nasty sunburn that we're doomed to acquire, plus, we produce Vitamin D all on our own. So staying indoors for days on end isn't really that much of a problem.

4."Can I count all of your freckles?"

Maybe this question wouldn't be as annoying if it were actually humanly possible to do, but still, the answer is no. Even if I did want all of my freckles to be counted, and being completely honest, I do sometimes wonder how many I actually have, we all know that trying to count all of the freckles that a ginger has would be nearly impossible.

5. "Is it natural?"

Although, sometimes this question can be meant as a compliment, it does get kind of old telling people over and over again that you don't dye your hair. Gingers do make up a very small percentage of the world, but we do exist, and our hair is indeed, real!