5 Thoughts During Your First Month Of College

A few thoughts that cross our mind at the beginning of this 4-year emotional whirlwind.

5
Tori Covington

As a freshman in college a lot of things can hit you all at once, and it can be pretty intense. The first month of your 4 year whirlwind of a time is an emotional rollercoaster, with so many thoughts racing through your mind.

1. HOW am I going to fit all of this stuff in THIS space??

After weeks of google searching pictures of your residence hall to see the space that is going to be yours for the school year and imagining just how you're going to make those concrete block walls cute, the time is here. You think you can prepare yourself for how small dorm rooms truly are, but there is really no way you can fully grasp how small your side of the room is until you're standing there, suitcase in hand, and your jaw basically touching the ground from amazement. Even after weeks of having your mom tell you that you're overpacking, you never believe her up until this moment. But don't you worry, because it all somehow fits and if nothing else your parents can take back stuff you can (barley) part with.

2. Who let me schedule my classes this close together?

Even though you thought 10 minutes in between classes was plenty of time to casually walk to class and socialize when mod-podging your schedule, this isn't high school, and that first day of classes is when you realize it. Getting from one building to another that is completely across campus while sprinting is a challenge, but you make do and you send up a little prayer when your first class lets out a bit early and you can take your sprint down to a stroll again.

3. I should have listened when I was told that I would get sick of the "cafeteria" food.

My naive self never listened to the upperclassman when they said this food gets boring. I mean after all, how could it possibly be worse then high school food?? Thats where they get you, its not worse, it just gets old. They get you when they prepare tons of good food for your orientation or spotlight days, after that its just the same ole stations with the same ole things. The positive is that you learn when the orientation and spotlight days are; and you eat up all the good food while it's there. Plus, food is food and you'd much rather eat another piece of pizza than starve.

4. Do all of my teachers plan to give me huge amounts of homework at the same time?

I'm really not sure how "Syllabus Week" is a term considering its really just two days because then it hits....stress. Its like all of your teachers get together and say "okay first exams this Tuesday? Awesome". This is when the countless library hours and staring at your computer until a migraine arises, but on the bright side you'll survive and it'll happen again in a couple weeks.

5. I miss home.

Nothing can truly prepare you for not being home anymore until you've moved out. Even if you go home every weekend, its still not the same. After countless phone calls and texts with your mom, it still hurts seeing everyone together in your hometown while you're away. Tears and hugs are always exchanged when you have to head back to school after the weekend, but once you get back you remember that you have a wonderful home away from home family that keeps you sane.

College is a crazy emotional experience. It's hard at times and you can easily lose your mind, but take a deep breath and remember that it will get better.