5 Things To Stop Writer's Block

5 Things To Stop Writer's Block

I've had a tough time with writer's block and know others have too, so here are five things you can do to stop yours!

15
5 Things To Stop Writer's Block
David K. William

Anyone who writes, whether it be for an essay due tomorrow or for a book that has a deadline approaching, we've all had writer's block.

Things that are supposed to help, such as brainstorming ideas, don't always work and sometimes when you do those things, it just makes it worse. For any writer, it's the worst thing that can possibly ever happen to you - especially when you're in the middle of a chapter or the last body paragraph of an essay due in six hours.

So what can we do if brainstorming doesn't help? Is there a way to even get our brains to keep going on the track that we want it to when they're basically boycotting that specific train of thought?

I've found a couple things that work for me and want to share them. Especially since the last couple of weeks I've had a lot of trouble with writer's block and pushing past that hasn't been easy with how busy and stressed I've been. SO! Here are a few things that I hope will help you when you can't think of what you want to say.

1. Go Driving

Now I know this isn't possible for everyone and that gas is expensive. I don't personally do this one a lot, but every so often I do it because it feels really good to have the windows down and feel the wind in my hair. It also helps me think of myself in a movie or a book where they talk about doing the same thing. It sometimes leads to me having a brilliant idea for whatever I'm writing about at the moment.

2. Read a Favorite Book

This is my go to thing. For whatever reason, when I read one or two of my favorite books, I get ideas for what I'm writing about. I think it might just help that by reading I'm putting myself kind of into a different world from the ones I'm used to being in at the moment.

3. Watch a Movie

I love watching movies, especially with family or friends with me. However, instead of watching a movie that you've already seen, try watching a new one! It's kind of different from the book one. I've noticed, for myself, that if I watch a new movie that it often helps spark an idea that I probably wouldn't get from watching a movie I've seen already. That could be because I'm one of those people who will talk with the actors and say what they're saying as they're saying it.

4. Do Something, Anything, Else For an Hour

Simply give your mind a break from thinking about it for an hour. This might seem insane, especially if that essay is due in a couple hours, but it could really help you and also save the quality of that paper. Legitimately, you can do anything for this hour as long as it's not working on that one paper. Nap, eat, take a hot shower, etc., just do something that is going to take your mind on a new adventure for a while.

5. Don't Wait

I'm guilty of doing this, but don't wait until the last possible moment to do that paper (or article) when it's due in a couple hours. Really not the best thing to do because it puts a lot of stress on yourself to be able to come up with something really amazing to show the world if you only have a couple hours.

So yeah, this is a small list of things that could help you get rid of your writer's block! If you have any suggestions that aren't on this list that help you, then please let me know. I'm always looking for new ways to be able to keep my mind on the thought train I want it on.