The 5 Things I Never Realized I Took For Granted Until I Got To College

These are 5 things I believe I, and students, will take for granted when we are settled into our first week of college.

20

As a child growing up, we had life easy. Our parents provided our necessities, and when we developed into young adults, we started to earn our wants. Our lives were running smoothly, and we had no constant worries.

When you reach the age of eighteen, the easy life you had lived all your adolescent years changes. You're more pressured to discover who you are by your parents and others that care about you. You're also required to start thinking about if you are going to college or not. And when you decide to take the next step and jump into the world degree-seeking people, you start to realize that as a child there were certain aspects that were simple that are now our responsibility. Here are five things I believe are taken for granted as a child.

1. Home cooked meals

Everyday in high school I would return to my residence to my mother having made a delicious super for the entire family. She made sure nobody went hungry because that was my mother's first priority. Whether it be pork chops or lasagna, the deliciousness would never end.

Not that Eau Claire's food isn't as delicious, but we have two main cafeterias to choose from. And believe me, when you eat cafeteria food the same time every day, it makes you miss what your parents had ready for you when you came home exhausted.

2. My own space

When you grew up, your parents made sure that your bedroom was exactly the way you wanted it. When I was a kid, my mother designed my room to have scooby doo strewn everywhere. Yellow walls with scooby doo wallpaper, bedspread, and curtains was my childhood dream that came true.

In college you are completely limited in space. Staying in a small cubicle that is smaller than my original room with somebody else can get a little cluttered, and you can't even bring everything that you originally grew up with. I would highly advise getting to know your room mate before, that way you can both see if you're compatible. There is not very much privacy either. Your room mate could walk in on you changing, or have friends with them. For these reasons, I sometimes miss my own bedroom.

3. Transportation

I always had a car growing up. My father bought me my first small Pontiac, and when I turned 18, my mother and her boyfriend purchased a new car for me.

I was lucky to win a parking spot at my college, but not every student was so fortunate. Many were forced to leave their cars behind, and if they want go anywhere outside of campus, their only option is to either hitch a ride with a fellow classmate, or ride the bus. I have talked to multiple students and they all wish they would have had the option to bring their car. It would have been much easier to get home on weekends and holidays. I believe this is a set back that was a luxury when you were able to drive to your high school every day.

4. Knowing everyone in my school

I graduated with an extremely small class of 25 students. I would even say we were more like a family than just friends at school because we grew up together starting in kindergarten. I still do love my graduating class of 2016 and I truly do wish the best for every one that was there from the start.

College is a whole different ball game. Unless some of the students you went to high school with are attending the same college, you're basically heading into a sea of hormonal teenagers not knowing anybody. That's where the tough part sets in. You will be alone until you meet your group of people. I was lucky to have known my room mate before I attending my University, but sometimes I still do feel alone.

5. The love of my family

I saved this for last because I truly do feel like it's the most important. My family was there for me through thick and thin starting when I was born, and they have never left my side since. I had them there everyday and I never had to miss them because I always expected to see them when I came back from high school.

Adjusting to college without my family has been rough. I miss my parents, my sister, my dog, but in the end I know that I have to gain independence if I want to succeed. I wish I would have spent more time with the family members that were closest to me because it's just now hitting me the first week into college how much I miss them and how beneficial they were in my life.

College is a fantastic experience that I believe every graduate out of high school should attend. You will get a fantastic education with fantastic people surrounding you that want to help you succeed. There will be much you will miss from home, but much you will get to learn about and I believe that's why I am expanding my education.