5 Things I Learned From Playing Volleyball

Yeah – there's more to the game than pass, set, hit.

1938
Bekah Gere

I was blessed with the opportunity to go home last weekend, and I was able to attend a volleyball tournament that my high school was hosting. I got to see my friends that haven't graduated yet play (woohoo), and I got to watch the sport that has dominated a large part of my life for many years. Now that I’m graduated and not in the gym playing volleyball every day, it’s definitely weird.

Sitting in the bleachers, I got to thinking about the good times, the fun times, the crazy times, the bad times, the confusing times, the heartbreaking times, and the many, many learning experiences that I had while my volleyball journey was underway. I thought I’d share some of those learning experiences.

1. For the team

Both on and off the court, you give your all to your team, and you expect your other team members to do the same. You trust them, you love them, you get frustrated with them, they challenge you, and you don’t want to let them down. Tournaments were long, but they were always a blast because of the time I spent with my team (you better believe there were dance parties). Being a team player is one of the strongest attributes of a good athlete in any sport, but volleyball is a very mental game, and you need to have each other's backs. Leadership doesn’t necessarily mean you have to be a captain. You can find leadership opportunities anywhere. I learned to take hold of those opportunities when I was presented with them. Obviously, this can be applied to many things: school, the workplace, etc. Better yourself and better the team.

2. Things aren’t always “fair,” and you don’t always get your way

And that’s okay. I struggled through my varsity years with this one a lot. The coach has the power and you can’t really do anything about that. I regret letting this obstacle get to me as much as it did because frankly, it ruined most of my varsity experiences. It sucked. It was hard. It wasn’t right or fair. But hey, you build up mental toughness, and you keep working hard. I found a niche in the sport where I belonged and the lows that I faced made me a stronger person. I learned to be confident and to not back down. I actually ended up coaching this past year, and I was obsessed, I loved it SO much, it was great, my girls are wonderful, etc. I know for sure that my unfortunate circumstances made me a better coach.

3. Good coaches will change your life

Trust me, the good coaches out there will positively impact your life, connect with you, make you a better person, and help you on and off the court. I have had many coaches throughout my years of playing, and there are those select few who stuck by me and pushed me to be better. You know who you are, and I thank you. I appreciate what you did for me, and just know that you truly did change me for the better. Just as I learned from the bad, I also learned from the good and applied it to my coaching methods.

4. There’s a whole big world out there

When I played and coached club/travel, I got to travel to places I’ve never been to before, including Chicago. Before, I never thought I’d be able to go to school in a big city or at a big university. However, I found that when I visited these places, my strong opinion was beginning to change. I appreciate this opportunity I was given, and I took the leap to go to a giant public university in a big city. Also, I got to meet new people through my club season, girls who I am still friends with. They are awesome, talented young women and I am so glad that they were put in my life. It’s amazing how things work out like that.

5. Passion

Volleyball is an extremely high-energy, adrenaline-inducing, fast-paced game. It’s a rush. However, it is trying on your mind, body, and yes, your patience too. To play this game and succeed, it takes an intense drive and passion. This translates into everyday life because you can have the skills and the raw talent, but if you aren’t willing to work to refine those skills, you won’t reach your full potential. I know that the love I have for this game will not die out anytime soon.

It’s no secret that volleyball has impacted many athletes’ lives. However, just like many other sports, it goes deeper than just the technical skills that it takes to play the game. I have learned a lot about myself and life in general through this sport, and I have a great admiration and respect for it. A lot of my life has been dedicated to volleyball--both playing and coaching, and I wouldn’t change it for the world.