5 Things I Have To Say To My Mom For Mother’s Day

It’s hard to explain to my mom how I feel about her on this important holiday.

404
Jennifer Moore

It's hard to think of things to say to the time capsule twin that has raised me since day one. It is kind of scary yet wonderful how alike we looked when we were roughly the same age. It's a blessing and a curse since most people probably wouldn't be able to tell us apart. But I just wanted to make sure that I wrote this before it was too late:

1. There aren't enough thank yous to go around for such a remarkable mother.

You have done so much for me since I have started college, and even more up until then. You were there at every single accepted students’ day, parent’s information day, and on the phone every late night with you when I was a little too stressed out. You are my rock. I always know that I can come home, and relax when I don’t have class, and just unwind where I feel most comfortable. Thanks for being the mother that I needed. Thanks for being my mentor. And thank you for being there.

2. You continue to be such a role model.

The way that you took care of me, has made me such a confident and headstrong individual. Without your guidance and example, I would not be the woman I am today. You taught me to be strong and tell people like it is when there’s a problem. I hope that when I am older, that I am half the woman you are. Your ambiance and the vibe that you give off is one that I hope to emulate.

3. Thank you for supporting me when I switched majors.

I was very reluctant to tell you that I switched majors. I grew up knowing that I wanted to study biology and science, and when English became my calling I wasn’t sure how you would react. I should have known better than to think that, but I am delighted that you supported my decision. I learned through last semester that English was the subject that made me feel at home. The same feeling, I get when I come home, to the home that you built for me.

4. I hope that you find the strength within yourself when you think there isn't any left.

You are the strongest person I know. You have weathered and lived through what can only be called the worst of times. I have watched you endure tough times that I couldn’t imagine going through. I watched you stare into the face of fear and win. I know that there are days that you spend thinking that you aren’t strong enough, or that you don’t have enough energy to make it through the day. I know that with the warrior you are, you can survive any storm that life throws your way. Whenever you are feeling like life is against you, take a deep breath. Blow your troubles away. Blow a mighty tornado at your troubles and worries, and they will fold like a bad hand of poker. I know that you can tackle any problem head on, and that will never stop. Take care of the wind inside of you but keep it at a dull breeze when I visit so you don’t blow me away (although you do with your courage and bravery every day).

5. Happy Mother's Day

There aren’t enough words in the dictionary to explain how thankful I am to have you as a mother. From teaching me to ride a bike, and making me my own knee and elbow pads, to taking me to taekwondo lessons, you did it all. You were the best mother you could be, and you continue to do so. I hope that you can take time today, and every day to remember that you are the best mother. Reread this letter every day of the year to remind yourself that you are good enough. You are perfect. You are everything that I needed in a mother, and more. I hope that you never forget that. Keep doing what you’re doing, because evidently, it’s working. I mean come on, you raised me. That was a difficult job, and you still simultaneously manage to do so many other things.