5 Things I Have Discovered About Myself Over The Past Year

13568

1. I deserve better.

In life it is easy to let other people decide your happiness. You want to make this person happy or that person happy, and then you come to find out that in the end you are really only hurting yourself. When you are living to please other people instead of focusing on the things that make you happy, it is easy to get lost. Over this past year, I have come to discover that I do not owe anyone anything. I deserve to be happy and I deserve to be treated with respect. I refuse to surround myself with people who drag me down. Happiness and happy people are the way to go!

2. Sometimes I let my future goals and aspirations get in the way of the here and now.

I am a very determined person. That is just my nature. I have an idea for the way I want certain situations to pan out and I do my best to make sure they happen. Unfortunately, there are times when my determination finds a way of affecting choices that I am making in the present moment. College is the place where I am able to grow and make mistakes before becoming an adult, but I tend to spend too much time thinking about my future rather than enjoying the ride.

3. When I set goals, I have to achieve them.

Along with being a determined person, I also have to make sure that when I set goals, I am able to achieve them. Whether this means small, short-term goals or future life plans, I try to make sure that these goals are realistic enough to actually come true. Of course when life throws curveballs you can't always follow true to the plan that you may have laid out. Regardless, I do my best to stay true to the promises I have made to myself and that way I can feel truly successful.

4. I am a procrastinator.

It may be rather unfortunate, but like a lot of college students my age I tend to have this problem where I do most assignments right before they are due. I usually do not regret my choices until I am awake at 3 am typing a paper wishing that I were fast asleep in my bed. Now that I am aware of this problem, I do not really have any plans for drastic changes, however I can work on slowly fixing this for the future.

5. I absolutely love making other people happy.

Over the past year, one of the most interesting things I have discovered about myself is that I love doing what I can to make other people smile. There are too many negative situations in this world to bring any more of that bad energy to the table. Every day when I wake up I try to choose to look at each day as a new start, where I can hopefully be the smiling face that will make someone's day. When I look back at how much I have changed over the past year, I find it crazy to see where I was at this time then versus where I am now. And I will only continue to grow. I am excited to see what is in store for the future!