5 Things To Expect At Your First College Party

It's that time of year again. Time to kick off the school year!

1044
Article online at Uloop

When I was entering college, my first college "party" was the welcome back party thrown by the university at the beginning of the school year. We call it "Block Party" at our school. As a person who had never been to a party in his entire life, I had no clue at first as to what to expect or how to even behave. I had met a few people from my orientation group and we kinda stuck together for that night. I'll just going to say that it was a very interesting night overall—definitely a night to remember. However, if you are coming into college and are like me (someone who was kinda sheltered), then here are five things that you could possibly expect to see when you attend your first college party.

1. Expect to be surrounded by people who are obviously not in the right state of mind.

Plan on about 90 percent of the people at the party being intoxicated. There will be people who can handle their alcohol, but there will also be those who are stumbling their way back home.

2. Plan to possibly be the one friend who takes care of your drunk friends.

If you're the sober one in your friend group, plan on looking out for your friends. They might do some really dumb things (some to intentionally annoy you) but just look after them. If you're the least intoxicated then plan on being the one to watch over your friends as well.

3. You're going to be surrounded by a ton of people.

If you're not used to being surrounded by lots of people, then you may not really like the party atmosphere.There will be large crowds, and you should plan on it being really hot when you're in a big group. You should also keep track of the people you came with since it's very easy to lose them within the huge crowd.

4. Don't—I repeat, don't—accept drinks from strangers.

I cannot emphasize this enough: Do not take any drinks from people you do not know. Anyone could add anything to your drink without you knowing. If you do get handed a drink, then keep it in your hand and then discard it. It's better to play it safe than to be sorry later on.

5. The people you party with at this party will most likely be the same ones you party with for the rest of your first year.

This one applies more to those who go to a small or decent-sized school. You will probably run into the same people at future parties, so try to make a good impression if you can. By that, I mean don't get to hammered or you may not be allowed at future parties. Be aware of your actions because most people will remember seeing you that first night.

Overall, the very first party you go to will be fun if you decide to have fun. You don't have to get wasted or even drink at all! Have fun, be yourself and enjoy the music at the party. As you start your college career, make the most of it, but don't slack off on academics either. Find that balance between school and the social scene on campus to make the most out of your four years. Make those memories!