For a few months now, I have been working with Rape Response Inc. I volunteer, and as an advocate I answer crisis line calls. Advocates undergo 20 hours of training, and we learn how to help survivors through something that has altered their entire lives. We provide resources, hold hands and listen. We always listen. My time here has changed my life, and I have decided to provide some statistics to help others who may not know.
First, what is rape?
Rape is: an unlawful sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against the will of a person, male or female, or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent.
1. One in five women will be raped at some point in their lives.
2. One in 71 men will be raped at some point in their lives.
3. One in four girls and one in six boys will be sexually abused before the age of 18.
4. Every 98 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted.
5. Ages 12-34 are at the highest risk for sexual assault.
If you are/know someone who has been sexually assualted and is looking for guidance, reach out. No one should have to walk this journey alone. There are counseling centers available, and 24/7 crisis lines as well. For more information, check out: