5 Simple Tools to Start the Year Off Stress-Free

Don't knock it till you try it.
1

There are a hundred different little tools and gadgets that people use to help keep them relaxed, organized, and free of stress. Everyone is different, and there can be a wide combination of things that will help each individual person stay organized. That being said, here are five simple items that I think will help start 2017 on the right foot.

1. Meal Planner

Having a meal planner is a really good way to limit your stress. There's not a day that goes by when I don't hear the phrase "what do you want to eat?" or "we don't have any food." Meal planners keep you from eating out as much, help you with a grocery list, and limit the difficulties that come along with cooking (especially for multiple people).

2. Fitness Tracker

A fitness tracker doesn't have to be a Fitbit or Smartphone app. This could be as simple as keeping a journal tracking your workouts. The important thing is to set a goal to reach everyday, and honestly track your progress. You do have to be really disciplined to keep a journal by hand everyday, which is why I have a Fitbit that tracks workouts for me. Find whatever works for you. The important thing is sticking to it.

3. Cookbook(s)

I have always wished I had the knack for cooking, but the truth is I don't. I need lots of recipes to help me cook actual meals. Whether or not one of your New Year's resolutions is to eat healthier, you can still benefit from buying a cookbook. This will also help with your meal planning if you're like me and don't have a very large repertoire of recipes memorized.

4. Essential Oils Diffuser

I recognize that this isn't for everyone. I've always wanted to use essential oils, so I finally went out and bought myself a diffuser, which is one of the easiest ways to use essential oils. There is a wide variety of essential oils and uses for them, including decreasing stress and increasing relaxation. Why not try it? At the very least, it makes the room smell nice.

5. Reminder/To-Do List App

There are a lot of different smartphones apps out there to help send you reminders. iPhones even come with one already on their phones. While I'm not the biggest fan of the Apple Reminders app, I have searched the App Store many times and found several that work well for me. This past semester I downloaded one geared toward school and homework. It would send me a reminder at a designated time before the due date of my homework as a reminder to do it. Once you get in the habit of using it, it's really nice to not have to worry if you're forgetting something.

All of these tools are available in many different formats and prices. Find the type of tool that works best for you, and get into a habit of using it. Trust me, having small things like these make your life a whole lot easier.