5 Reminders We All Need After The Orlando Night Club Massacre
Politics

Things to remember after Florida faced the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.

23
Heavy Editorial

As I am sure you have read all over the internet, heard on the radio, seen on all of your feeds, and heard consistently on the radio, Florida faced a terrible tragedy this weekend with a mass shooting at a gay nightclub, Pulse, in downtown Orlando. The shooter was an American citizen of Islamic faith, named Omar Mateen, age 29. Before killing 50 club-goers, and injuring 50+ he called 9-1-1 and pledged his allegiance to ISIS. This horrific event is the United States' deadliest mass shooting ever, and the worst terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11.

Mateen's ex-wife spoke up to reporters and said that when she was married to him, he was disturbed and showed abnormal behavior. At the beginning, she saw that he had some characteristics that were out of the norm. A few months later, he was getting angry and physically violent towards her about simple things such as not having housework done and speaking to her family. He then forbid her from speaking to her family. CNN has also released information that the terrorist had been inspected by the FBI not once before, but twice, but could not further the investigations due to insufficient evidence. Mateen was never officially added to a watch list, but he was interviewed multiple times in 2013 and multiple times in 2014 for connections to terrorism.

I am so deeply sickened by this event. How someone can be so mentally ill that taking innocent people's lives brings them satisfaction? How can someone be so opposed to homosexuals that they believe that murdering so many people is acceptable? How can someone take religion so literally that they commit this horrific act and bring such distress to our great nation? I, as well as all of us Floridians, am so shaken up by this event and feel so much anger, sadness, pain, confusion, and disbelief. Of course it's awful when terrorism happens anywhere. And it's worse when it's in your country, but if it's not close to you geographically, you feel sort of disconnected. Living in the Tampa Bay area, this massacre basically happened next door.

Tragedies like this are eye-opening; it brings to light some ideas and beliefs that we need to be reminded of.

1. We are all Americans.

It doesn't matter if you're newly a citizen, or have been a citizen for your entire existence. We are all residents of this wonderful country, and sometimes it takes horrific events to rekindle that connection and love for one another. When tragedy strikes, people come together regardless of race, gender, sexuality, or religion. It doesn't matter if you're gay or straight; everyone is feeling the pain from this shooting, and we are all in this together.

2. Live every day like it's your last.

Sometimes as a college student, you wish for time to go by. You can't wait until summer. Or you can't wait until you're 21. Then you can't wait to graduate from college. Appreciate the little moments, and realize that everyday is a blessing. You are fortunate to be alive. That could have been you in Pulse when the shooting happened, but it wasn't. And you're lucky. Those people in the nightclub had no idea that their lives were going to change that night, or that it would be the last time that they are ever alive with their friends or family. Realize that anything can happen and be happy with the present.

3. Everyone has the right to be happy.

America is home of the free. We pride ourselves on being able to do whatever we want, and we can. This being said, remember that everyone has the right to be happy whether they're straight, gay, transgender, or bisexual. People are people regardless of sexual orientation. These victims, in which a lot were members of LGBT community, all have families. They have parents, nieces, nephews, possibly children, and have people who love them which are now mourning a tough loss. Let this remind you not to judge or be close minded towards people that are different than you. Everyone has the right to be happy.

4. Do not be afraid.

I know it's easier said than done, but seriously, don't let attacks like this keep you from living your everyday life. Terrorists thrive on inspiring fear of others and their purpose is to frighten us. Do not let them succeed. Just because a nightclub had a shooting doesn't mean you should never go out with your girlfriends again. Do it, don't let Mateen win. Just because there was a horrible shooting in Orlando doesn't mean you should never go to Disney again because it's in the same city. Live your life and don't be scared.

5. There are more good people than bad.

This shooting proves it. Look how many people have come together to show their support and mourn the losses. Thousands and thousands of people. It's saddening when you think about how much bad stuff is constantly happening in our country, but the good outweighs the bad. There are so many good people in this world that feel the same exact way as you do. Not everyone is bad, in fact there are way more good people. Good people are everywhere.

I will continue to send prayers to the victims and their families and demonstrate my sympathy and love. In this time of tragedy, I hope that these ideas and beliefs stick with you, and that we continue to be proud Americans.