5 Reasons You Should Visit Humboldt County

Get to see what Northern California really has to offer.

92
Marquel Love

Humboldt county is a beautiful place. I am very fortunate to have been able to spend a couple of years in that tiny community. With beautiful redwoods stretched along side the highways and roads it is a place of absolute beauty. The type of vibe that you get when you get into Humboldt County is one that I have not been able to find anywhere else. It is a special place that I think everyone should visit or experience at least once in their life. Here are the top five reasons why everyone should take this drive on 101 or the 99 to see this place.

1. Hikes

With Humboldt County being home to the Redwood National Park, the Lost Coast, the Six Rivers National Forest and dozens of other wild and wonderful areas, why else would you not want to go hiking here. Humboldt County is so full of nature that it was named "America's Most Scenic Rural County" by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Those who want to see the beauty that this far northern Californian county has to offer will not regret it at all. With dozens of beautiful trails right of the highways you can hike to see the rugged coastlines, the accent old-growth forest and the rushing pristine rivers.

2. Beaches

Where else can you find TONS of beaches that are 5-15 minutes away from you? Well in Humboldt County the beaches are not an issue whatsoever. Just a quick drive down 101 or a quick 4-5 miles from Humboldt State you can find beaches such as Mad River, Clam, Moonstone, Luffenhotlz and many more. The beaches call for beautiful places to catch a sunset, or bonfire during the evening, and during the day ,nice places to just hangout and chill with friends. The best part about these beaches is that they are never crowded! Just think about having a whole beach basically to yourself minus all the pollution too! If that does not attract you to the beautiful cost of Humboldt then I honestly do not know what will.

3. People

There is something about the people that you meet in Humboldt County that you can just not put your finger on. The people in this county are probably some of the nicest people you will ever meet. People are always down to have a conversation with you despite barely knowing you. On top of that at places like the beach, people are so warm and welcoming you could probably hop in and enjoy and game of football or frisbee with them if you just asked! Everyone else is always down to go out and adventure and guaranteed there will be plenty of laughs.

4. Location

People look for many things when finding a place to visit. The best part about Humboldt County has to be the location! With it right by the Oregon Border and about 5 hours from SF Bay area it is a perfect secluded little county that does not get overpopulated with tourist or becomes super crowded. It is very rural area and with that being said there is SO much to explore. It is a great get away place and once you get there and experience it you’ll think twice about living in the city. Also if you want to more specifically visit HSU the athletic facilities, the dorms, and all the classrooms are in such beautiful spots that, I can see why HSU is voted one of the top beautiful colleges.

5. Community & Food

Lastly one of the main reasons you should visit Humboldt County is because of the community. It is a small community with many people from different backgrounds who are all super friendly and outgoing. On top of that almost every restaurant in the community has a pledge to be more environmental friendly or sustainable and they make sure a lot of the food is organic and naturally grown. Big restaurant and store chains are more frowned upon in Humboldt county which means if you find an amazing place to eat, 9 times out of 10 you can only find it in Humboldt County.

With all this being said I am surprised you have not started planning your trip already. So what are you waiting for? Come explore the beauty that Northern California has to offer.