5 Reasons You Should Date A "Marty"

5 Reasons You Should Date A "Marty"

Don't make Rory Gilmore's biggest mistake.

227
5 Reasons You Should Date A "Marty"
Warner Bros.

Whether you're known in every establishment in Stars Hollow on a first-name basis, (fun fact: there are 35 of them), or have never even seen Kirk screw up a random job before, here are some valuable date-selecting lessons as told through one of "Gilmore Girls'" most underrated characters, Marty.

Ever since Marty arrived on the scene in Season 4, despite his sparsely portioned 10 episode story arc, he quickly stole our hearts and should have stolen Rory's as well.

See below for an accurate representation of our faces and back-seat dating agenda when Rory (*spoiler alert*) chooses snobby Logan over Marty, the indomitable "Naked Guy."

What. No.

Oh, Rory…

Here are five Reasons Why "Naked Guy" is The Apple of Our Eye

Just look at his cool posters. If those aren't enough to sway you, read on.

1. Marty and Rory have a similar sense of humor and lifestyle.

According to social psychology, the trope that swears that opposites attract is quite false -- evidence and theory find that people who are more similar and like-minded are much more compatible and successful within platonic and romantic relationships. The show often exemplifies this reality through the ways that Rory and Marty interact on the screen; they watch the same movies, understand each other's pop culture references and they tend to have very fluid conversations (unless Marty is asking Rory if she's single).

These two individuals understand each other on a very important level, because the show revolves around conversations laden with references to films, actors/actresses, television, music and literature. Being two like-minded people, Rory and Marty are interested in the same films: they bond over a Marx Brothers Marathon with food and good conversation. They also have a love for coffee, as they are both hardworking university students who juggle challenging courses with complex personal lives. These qualities of their relationship are very reminiscent of Rory and Lorelai's methods of bonding, which indicates that he would fit right into their world.

Marty and Rory also have incredible patience, and that patience can translate very well into a relationship between people in young-adult age group. If we're being honest, handling someone like Paris is quite the task for anyone, and the fact that Rory and Marty navigate her moods and temperament with such finesse is quite the feat.

2. Best friends make the best partners.

Despite the awkward circumstances of their "meet-cute," Marty and Rory have great chemistry right off the bat; the kind of thing that usually indicates the "beginning of a beautiful friendship." They consistently have each other's backs when things go awry, such as Rory lending him her bathrobe (even when he was a perfect stranger!) to cover up his drunkenly naked state.

Marty is not only always on call for a good life chat or a breakfast run, but he is the first person Rory calls when an important prospective student from Chilton goes missing. Supporting each other through thick and thin is what can take a so-so relationship and send it soaring to "match made in heaven" status!

It has become a cliché to give the advice to "marry your best friend," but, as with many clichés, this one is based in truth. Of course, we don't mean that Rory needs to get married to be valid (that would be strictly against everything "Gilmore Girls" and we stand for). But in the case of a gem like Marty, their trusting relationship -- had it been taken to the next level -- could've been one for the ages. It holds true that, to make a healthy partnership last, you have to simultaneously like and love the person you're going to be spending so much time and energy with. Don't pull a Rory and ignore the magic right in front of you!

3. Power couples are equally motivated.

Remember how we said that Marty and Lorelai have similar relationships with Rory? Well, the similarities continue to pop up when we examine these relationships. Marty is much like Rory and Lorelai when it comes to their work ethic -- they are all hardworking individuals who don't often ask for help from outside resources. They are all extremely determined figures within the series and they don't take no for a answer.

When Marty didn't have cash on him while he was out with Rory and Logan, he refused to let her pay for him despite the fact that he couldn't easily access an ATM. He paid Rory back as soon as he could, showing that he doesn't take kindly to financial favors. Marty also bartends parties and does odd jobs to make ends meet, which is something that is very important when considering a good life partner. Marty is dedicated to making things work regardless of the circumstances that life gave him -- this same determination can be extended to making a relationship strong and long-lasting. Marty is appreciative of the things that he has because he's had to work for them, and this is extremely admirable.

Rory and Marty are also motivated and driven when it comes to their academic pursuits. On the first day of "shopping week" (letting people demo classes before they chose them, which is something that should be offered at every university, in our opinion), they were both early to their first class of the day. While they were made fun of by the teacher's assistant, they didn't feel out of place. The two also study together and motivate each other to do well in classes, which is something that is valued in a good relationship. People that can grow together are ones who can stick together.

4. He's respectful.

In a classic college scene, Rory and Marty are contemplating life and doing homework in his room on the twin bed provided by stingy college dorm management. She falls asleep just as he's about to inquire about her recent breakup -- a Raphaelite angel on his pillow. In the sad reality of the world, many other fellows in this situation, with a crush unaware, might try to make their move at this point. Marty doesn't try to rouse her or try anything at all. He just lets her get her beauty rest like the true gentleman that he is.

While it may seem a bit frustrating that he doesn't make his move soon enough, letting Logan's rich-boy wiles steal her away, this is just another reason he's the most natural and relatable of any of Rory's potential love interests. He also takes the smart route of asking if she has a boyfriend first, on the multiple occasions he tries to get out what he feels for Rory; unlike Dean who stalks her until she goes out with him, Jess who badgers her and makes her boyfriend uncomfortable until he breaks up with her or Logan who basically kidnaps her and makes her bungee jump "for fun." Those are not the most admirable of ways to secure a woman's love, and though ultimately effective, nor do they set a good precedent for the rest of the respective relationships. Clear communication and respectful reconnaissance preparation are the two most important things when trying to escape the friend-zone in a good way.

Last but not least, when he finally speaks up for himself and Rory turns him down, he doesn't get angry or irate with her. That is the mark of a true-blue friend. He is obviously hurt and disappointed, as anyone in that position would be, but he competently finishes the conversation and ultimately agrees to continue their friendship. Whether or not this happens isn't made quite apparent on the show, but there is a hope that it was.

5. Honesty wins every time.

On that note of honesty, Marty's ability to be (mostly) frank and open with everyone he meets is a beautiful and attractive thing. His interactions with Rory's grandparents, Emily and Richard Gilmore, include the pure honesty during the anecdote about how he and Rory met (in the buff). These quality and polite communication skills immediately endear him to Rory's hard-to-please grandparents.

Marty's honesty extends to his conversation and the support of you. In this case, he is often the only person in Rory's life, besides Lorelai, that is unafraid to be the giver of tough love. He pushes her to be a better, more genuine person, and she becomes that during their friendship. A real friend (and/or partner) will always be there to support the best version of you, even when you can't see it yourself.

If you're not convinced by now that the old adage: "nice guys finish last" is complete unicorn poop, then you may need another cup of Luke's coffee to help you see things more clearly. We digress, everyone has their own type, but we merely wanted to put out there that sometimes the people that end up teaching you to become your best self are right under your nose. Though this article is hetero-centric by nature of the characters it was referencing, this applies to the LGBTQIAP+ community just as easily.

So next time, be sure to take a second glance at that "just-a-friend" pal that cracks you up and brings you Chinese food whenever possible. He or she might just be your very own Marty waiting to be discovered.

Disclaimer: Though Marty returns in Season 7, taking into account that season was not written by the original creators (the Palladinos) as it should have been, this article chooses to focus on the Season 4-5 Marty for the sake of his and Rory's relationship and his personality.