5 Reasons Why A Mother & Daughter Are Best Friends

You get the best of both worlds!

757
Gabriella Mahan

Do you and your mom have this unbreakable bond that seems hard to put into words? There are probably hundreds of reasons why you and your mom are best friends! Here’s a list of some of the reasons why you and your mom have this incredible relationship.

1. She’s your person.

She literally gave birth to you—doesn’t get much closer than that, am I right? The minute you leave the womb, that first skin-to-skin contact moment establishes the type of attachment you will develop towards your mother for the rest of your life. That moment is warm, special and filled with joy and everlasting love. Even to this day, when I hug my mom, it’s as if an electrical current runs through my body, making me feel safe and at ease. My mother is the woman I admire the most, the one I cherish with every inch of my being and the person that fills any and every void in my heart. There’s something about moms and how their affection just isn’t quite the same as everybody else’s. It’s much stronger and more meaningful.

2. She’ll always pick up your phone calls and answer your texts.

I text my mom throughout the day, everyday. I even call her at least twice a day! Am I embarrassed? Heck no! We absolutely love telling each other about our lives. Our conversations range anywhere from how I think I might have done poorly on an exam to what dress I am thinking of wearing to my next date event. When I need her, she’s there. Even if she doesn’t answer in that instant, she always gets back to me within the hour. If I am stressed about school, work or graduate applications, she talks me through it and calms me down. She knows exactly what to say. She loves telling me all about her intense yoga classes and how she masters a pose almost every week. The latest one she’s mastered is the standing splits; yeah, my mom is kind of a beast. And guess what? I love bragging about how amazing she is to all of my friends! Who wouldn't with a mom like mine, am I right?

3. She’s your cheerleader for life.

She was there when you made your very first friend in elementary school, she brought home cupcakes to congratulate you when you made the varsity volleyball team in high school, she cried with you when you got accepted into your dream college, and she’s still here, cheering you on every second of every day. Now that I am 21 years old, she may not have all those volleyball games to attend—she didn’t miss a single game—but trust me, she’s found other ways to cheer me on. She is the first one to text me as soon as I get out of a job interview. By now, I think she's memorized my class schedule so she knows exactly when to call me to ask me how my exam went and she never lets me forget how proud she is of me. My mother constantly reminds me: “When your heart aches, mine does too. When you get frustrated, I do too. And, when you’re happy, I’m ecstatic. Why? Because my children are my world and that’s what mom’s do: everything their children feel, they feel it too.”

4. Her closet is your closet.

Dang, my mother’s closet is #GOALS. Her closet is color coordinated, divided by season and impeccably organized. If I ever need anything, she has it. I even get to keep a lot of her clothes—oh the perks! She will never say no to letting you borrow something and if she doesn’t get it back within the week, she doesn’t mind—you definitely get some leeway. Oh, and don’t even get me started on her shoes... Let’s just say they are to die for and I’ve been walking around in them since I understood the concept of playing dress up and felt the need to run fashion shows in our living room.

5. She gets it when nobody else does.

Nobody gets me like my mom does. Sometimes, how you’re feeling is extremely hard to put into words and as much as you want others to understand, they just don’t. I don’t even have to give a full explanation to my mom; I vaguely explain how I am feeling and she instantly knows why I feel the way I do and what she needs to say to make me feel better. She knows you like the palm of her hand. She knows your likes and dislikes, she knows where your strengths and weaknesses lie, and she even knows how you’re going to respond in the majority of situations. It’s scary, but they sure as heck weren’t kidding when they said moms know it all.